CHAPTER 16: Who Is Adam Lawson?

How dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be his world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow.

~ Mary Shelley, Frankenstein.

"Hey, Adam," Demos said, sitting at his usual table in the cafeteria with his buddies. The captain waved him over, holding a newspaper and a new platinum blond makeover on his naturally dark head. "You see this?"

Thomas followed Adam to the table as Lilly took off for her first class because teachers didn't give girl athletes the same leeway they gave to the boys, especially the stars of the football team. They could show up whenever they wanted without consequence. And after their second straight win, the boys were the talk of the town.

"Nice hair," Adam said. "I like the look."

"You made the front page," Demos said, ignoring the compliment. He held up the feature article of the sports page: Algonquin Crushes Leominster: Who is Adam Lawson?

"If anyone's asking," Adam said, holding his hands out. "I'm right here."

Thomas knew more than all of them, turning his face a pale white. But he didn't really know, not about the finer points of Adam's life, because they never talked about his past. Thomas had his rules, and Adam had his. It worked.

Until it didn't.

Thomas reached out to take the paper, and Demos pulled it away. "Not so fast. You may be a rising star, but Adam here is a bona fide star." He waved his arm with the paper and continued, "Everyone wants to know who Adam Lawson is, but apparently, no one does."

"I certainly don't," Randy said, standing beside Demos.

"Personally, I don't care," Jon said. "No offense, Adam. I just don't think it matters."

Adam chuckled. "Thanks."

"The dude can play," Tony added, jumping to his defense. "He's got eight sacks in two games. No one does that. So, of course, the media's gone start digging on the guy."

"That's what I'm worried about," Demos said. He crossed his arms. "He shows up out of the blue. He claims never to have played sports before, but he's on pace to break the season sack record before we get into conference play." Demos pointed the paper at Adam. "He's going to have every college scout in America knocking down his door, and I don't like surprises—not when a championship season is on the line."

The bell rang.

"Hate to break up the party," Adam said, backing away. "But, um—I have a test that I need to pass. But uh, if you want to have a tea party and invite the team, we can have a long chat about my shitty life." He slapped his hands together. "How's that sound?"

"Dude," Jon said, holding up his hands. "I'm out."

"Yeah, catch you guys later," Tony said, walking out with Jon. "This is way too deep for a Monday morning."

Demos stared at Adam and said, "Football is everything to me. I know all about the shitty life—my dad's a damn drunk. So, I'm telling you once. Don't fucking screw this up for me or the team."

Adam stopped. "Are you threatening me?"

"Just leave it. Let's go," Thomas whispered from behind without effect.

Demos dropped the newspaper on the table. "I don't make threats, but I think you know that because one gutter rat can smell another. Isn't that right?"

"Yes," Adam replied. "Sounds about right."