Chapter 8: EOD

Jiale and Dachi walks home together. Jiale bids Dachi good night as he runs up to his house. Dachi walks solemnly to his house a few blocks down. When he gets to his street, Ji Jingwu leaning against his car under a streetlight.

Dachi approaches Ji Jingwu. There is a tension in the air but Jingwu is a respectable guy.

Dachi: Shouldn't you be resting? Big games tomorrow.

Ji Jingwu's stoic face breaks a small smile: That's exactly what I want to talk to you about. I heard there's been a relationship between you and Wu Yaoguang. Of course, as her fiance, Yaoguang told me all the details of this relationship.

Dachi: At the end of the day, you are her fiance.

Ji Jingwu interjects: No, I'm not. Tomorrow, whoever wins the games, it will make Yaoguang feel like the prize. She is no object to be passed around.

Dachi was about to say what would sound nice in this situation, She is your fiance and I have no feelings for her, but Ji Jingwu continues.

Ji Jingwu: I know you'll say you have no feelings for her, you are just friends, etc. However, Yaoguang is an admirable girl. It would be hard not to find her likeable. I'm sure we can come to an agreement that she is not a trophy. Whomever she likes should be of her own choice.

Dachi was a little shocked: Yes, right.

Ji Jingwu looks at the watch: She should be getting the news now.

Dachi: What news?

At Yaoguang's home, she walks in and puts her bag on the couch. She sighs and lays down on the couch. Her mom hears her and calls out: My baby, you're back?

Yaoguang calls out: Yes, mom.

Her mom comes from the kitchen and sits at the end of the couch. She has a soft yet concern look across her face. She taps on her daughter's foot to get her attention. Yaoguang sits up immediately.

Yaoguang: What is it, mom?

Her mom purses her mouth and force a pity smile: Let's go to your dad's office. We have something we need to tell you.

Yaoguang stands up: Alright. But this is never a good sign.

Yaoguang laughs but her mom guides her way without saying a word.

They open the door and her father sits at an office chair with a cup of tea. He immediately stands when Yaoguang enters.

Yaoguang: wow~ What is it? You guys are being too serious right now. Are you going to tell me which cult gave us these riches?

Her mom ignores her comment and starts: It's not your fault, my baby. Don't think it is.

Yaoguang: What is not me fault?

Yaoguang feels a deep fear rise from her back and over her head.

Her father: Ji Jingwu is asking to break off the engagement. His father and I have agreed.

Yaoguang's shoulders drop: What?

Her mom repeats: It's not your fault. Ji Jingwu says at this time- he is sure he wants to break off the engagement. We don't know if he has someone else but you never seemed in love with him.

Her father added: You two talk like new friends. So, we agreed. You're no longer engaged. But this will not change the future of the company. You two will just co-own. Like friends.

Her mom: Isn't this good news?

Yaoguang feels insecurity crawl over her. She wonders if it had anything to do with her. She snaps off the creeping feeling.