Chapter 72 - Villager's Surprise

As they approached the abode where Alexander and Prince Oliver resided, Serena noticed Prince Oliver standing outside, his expression tinged with a mixture of concern and anticipation.

Upon spotting Serena, Prince Oliver hurried towards her, his voice laced with worry as he asked, "Where were you? I noticed you weren't in your room, and I grew concerned."

Serena explained, "The village elders wanted to speak with me. Why are you outside? You seem like you're waiting for someone. Did Alexander go somewhere, and you're waiting for him?"

Prince Oliver shook his head, a sheepish smile playing on his lips. "No, I was waiting for you. I had a feeling you would come, so I couldn't bring myself to rest. I've been waiting here all this time."

Serena's voice softened with concern as she addressed Prince Oliver, "You really didn't need to wait for me; you should have rested." Her eyes then fell upon his dirtied attire, prompting her to inquire, "Have you not had a chance to freshen up?"

A faint blush colored Prince Oliver's cheeks as he admitted, "I did, but unfortunately, I don't have any spare clothes, so I had to put these back on."

Serena felt a pang of sympathy for him. It was clear that as a prince, he was accustomed to the luxury of clean garments at his disposal, and the current situation was a stark departure from that norm.

Turning her attention to Augustus, who observed the exchange with a mix of emotions, Serena made a request, "Could you please arrange for some fresh clothes for Prince Oliver and Alexander? They shouldn't have to make do with soiled attire."

Augustus's response was terse, his jaw tightening with a flicker of irritation. "Alright, I'll instruct someone to fetch clothes for them," he muttered, his resentment thinly veiled.

Serena's persistence only fueled Augustus's simmering frustration, her genuine concern for Prince Oliver resonating with a pang of jealousy within him. "Augustus, can you please arrange for it now?" she pressed, her voice tinged with urgency and empathy.

For a moment, Augustus bristled, his heart stinging at Serena's continued attention towards Prince Oliver. His jealousy was palpable, fueled by his own unspoken feelings for her and the fear of losing her to another. However, he forced himself to push those feelings aside, reminding himself of his duty to assist her. With a heavy sigh, he conceded, "Very well, I'll see to it now," his words laden with the weight of his conflicting emotions.

As Augustus departed to fetch clothes for Prince Oliver and Alexander, a tense silence settled between Serena and Prince Oliver. Sensing the unease, Prince Oliver voiced his concerns, his tone cautious yet troubled. "You should stay away from Augustus, I feel like he's not a good person," he warned, his gaze searching Serena's face for understanding.

Serena's response was measured, her voice carrying a sense of empathy and understanding. "I don't think he's a bad person either," she began, her words gentle yet firm. "He's just a bit reserved around those he's unfamiliar with or those who are considered outsiders. But I can feel it that he's a good person."

Prince Oliver's eyes narrowed, skepticism evident in his expression. "But you're also someone he's unfamiliar with, yet he isn't rude to you," he pointed out, his voice tinged with suspicion.

Serena paused, considering Prince Oliver's observation. "Perhaps," she conceded, her tone thoughtful. "But maybe it's because I'm seen as one of 'these people'-as part of the lineage. So perhaps he doesn't feel the need to guard himself against me."

Prince Oliver's question hung in the air, his curiosity evident in his gaze as he awaited Serena's response. "Are you really one of these people?" he inquired, his tone tinged with a hint of skepticism.