Chapter 14: Tremor of the Heart

Yumi and Hikari buzzed with excitement as they made the final preparations for Akimitsu's surprise party. With Akimitsu's arrival in Tokyo just three days away, the anticipation was palpable, and they couldn't wait to see the look of surprise on his face when he walked into the party they had meticulously planned.

As they arrived at Yumi's apartment, arms laden with decorations, food, and gifts, their phones buzzed with a notification. With a curious glance, they checked the message, only to be met with shocking news—a short news alert announcing that there had been an earthquake in Osaka.

Their hearts sank as they read the message, their minds racing with worry for the safety of those affected by the disaster. Yumi's thoughts immediately turned to Akimitsu, knowing that he had connections to Osaka and hoping against hope that he was safe.

"Hikari, did you see this?" Yumi asked, her voice trembling with concern as she showed her friend the news alert.

Hikari's eyes widened in shock as she read the message. "Oh no, this is terrible," she exclaimed, her voice filled with concern. "Do you think Akimitsu is okay?"

Yumi bit her lip, her heart heavy with worry. "I don't know," she admitted, her mind racing with fear for Akimitsu's safety. "But we have to find out. We need to make sure he's okay."

Yumi's hands shook as she dialed Akimitsu's number, her heart pounding with fear. But as the phone rang and went unanswered, her worry intensified, her mind racing with a thousand worst-case scenarios.

"His phones switched off," Yumi muttered, her voice trembling with anxiety as she glanced at Hikari, her eyes filled with fear.

Hikari's heart sank at the sight of Yumi's distress, her worries mirrored in her friend's eyes. "We have to find out if he's okay," she urged, her voice filled with urgency.

Without hesitation, Yumi reached for the remote and switched on the TV, her hands trembling as she flipped through the channels. And then, there it was—a news report detailing the devastation caused by the earthquake in Osaka.

Yumi's breath caught in her throat as she watched the images on the screen, her heart breaking at the sight of the institute building where Akimitsu worked, partially destroyed by the quake. And then, amidst the rubble, she saw it—the familiar facade that she had come to know so well.

"Hikari, we have to go to Osaka," Yumi declared, her voice laced with desperation. "We have to make sure Akimitsu is okay."

Hikari's eyes widened in shock at Yumi's sudden outburst. "Yumi, wait!" she called after her friend, but Yumi was already halfway out the door, her mind consumed by thoughts of Akimitsu's well-being.

With reckless abandon, Yumi raced down the stairs and out into the bustling streets of Tokyo, her heart pounding in her chest. She paid no heed to the traffic lights or the pedestrians around her, her only focus on reaching Osaka as quickly as possible.

Yumi and Hikari boarded the train station but the train had stopped running due to the earthquake Hikari tried to calm her down, but Yumi was desperate to ensure Akimitsu's well-being.

"Oh no," Yumi whispered, her voice barely above a whisper as tears welled up in her eyes. "Akimitsu..."

And then, without warning, a strangled cry escaped her lips, a sound filled with anguish and despair. "No, no, no!" she screamed, her voice echoing through the apartment as she collapsed to the floor, her hands covering her face as tears streamed down her cheeks.

Hikari rushed to her side, her own eyes filled with tears as she wrapped her arms around her friend, offering whatever comfort she could in the face of such devastation. And as they clung to each other amidst the chaos, their hearts heavy with grief, they knew that nothing would ever be the same again—not without Akimitsu by their side.