01. GRIEF

अब नहीं लौट के आने वाला घर खुला छोड़ के जाने वाला

घर खुला छोड़ के जाने वाला

♫ Chitti Na Koi Sandesh

10 YEARS AGO

The beach was bright.
The waves rolled.
And joy, in every sight, took hold.

"Papa, why can't I join?"

Twelve-year-old Ritvik grumbled, tugging at his father's wrist with pleading brown eyes, mirroring the sentiments of everyone else on the wooden deck. His mom chuckled at his attempt to sway his father's decision.

"Kids aren't allowed, Vik," his elder brother, Ranveer, said, flipping the fish on the pan, the sizzling sound filling the air between them as they cooked on the small stove.

"I'm not a kid, Saisha is."

Ritvik pouted, pointing at his sleeping one-month-old sister in the crib, her pink lips puckered as she sucked in air, dreaming of milk. And Saisha, their little sister, shares all the traits of her beautiful mother but the eyes of her father.

This small family shared similar traits: black hair, brown eyes. The boys inherited their mother's pointed nose and their father's soft smile from their genes.

"Vik, kids aren't allowed there. Otherwise, Papa wouldn't deny it," their mother said, looking at Ritvik, who huffed in frustration. His father gently lifted him into his lap, trying to soothe his disappointment.

Their parents' marriage began as a tale of forbidden love. Married in their early twenties, they defied the odds, their union a blend of privilege and modesty.

While their father hailed from wealth, their mother belonged to a slightly lower social class. Initially, their grandfather opposed the union, but love knows no bounds. They forged a secret alliance, labeling it an arranged marriage for appearances.