12. Sorry and Dad Jokes

As Rishav returned home after dropping his last tourists for the day at their hotel, during his lunch break, he was surprised to find Nayan outside, diligently washing his car. Curiosity piqued, he approached her with a smile.

"What are you doing, Nayan Ji?"
He asked, bemusement coloring his tone.

Nayan turned to face him, a sheepish grin spreading across her face as she held up the sponge in her hand.

"Just giving your car a little TLC, Papa,"
She replied, her voice laced with a hint of mischief.

Rishav chuckled at her response, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

"Well, I appreciate the effort,"
he said, his tone fond.
"But what's this all about?"

Nayan's expression softened as she met her father's gaze, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

"I want to say sorry, Papa,"
she admitted, her voice earnest.
"I know I was out of line yesterday, and I shouldn't have spoken to you like that."

Rishav's smile widened at her apology, his heart swelling with pride for his daughter's maturity.

"It's okay, Pari Ji,"
he said, his tone gentle.

"We all have our moments. And hey, I always appreciate a good joke, even if it's a poor one, just like my financial condition."

Nayan's eyes widened with disbelief and humour at her father's joke and her face lit up with relief and gratitude as she returned her father's smile.

"Thanks, Papa,"
she said, her voice filled with warmth.

"I promise I'll try to behave better from now on."

Rishav ruffled her hair affectionately, his heart overflowing with love for his daughter.

"That's all I ask,"
he said, his tone soft.

"And remember, no matter what, you will always have me beside you."

As Nayan and Rishav shared a moment of reconciliation, Prerna stepped out onto the porch, her eyes alight with affection as she watched the exchange between father and daughter.

"You know, Nayan,"
Prerna said, her voice gentle,
"You have proven yourself to be a lot smarter than I give you credit for."

Nayan's brow furrowed in confusion at her mother's words, a puzzled expression crossing her face.

"Smart?"
She echoed, her tone uncertain.

"But Neelu always says I'm innocent, like a little child."

Neelamma, who had been quietly observing the scene from the sidelines, chuckled softly at Nayan's remark.

"Well, my dear,"
she interjected with a warm smile,
"innocence and intelligence aren't mutually exclusive. You possess both in abundance."

Nayan's confusion deepened as she processed Neelamma's words, her frustration bubbling to the surface.

"I don't understand,"
she exclaimed, her voice tinged with frustration.

"One minute, I'm being called smart, and the next, I'm told I'm innocent. It's like... like trying to make sense of Lord Shiva's contradictions!"

Rishav's smile faltered at Nayan's last remark, a pang of sadness flickering in his eyes as memories of his past resurfaced.

Prerna noticed the change in Rishav's demeanor and placed a comforting hand on his arm, her eyes filled with understanding.

"It's okay, Ji,"
she whispered, her voice a soothing balm. Rishav smiled at her.