C H A P T E R 31

Tangled in the currents, they only pulled her unmoving body down further. Her tired form unable to fight any longer and succumbing to its grip. Her mind began to wander, distracting itself from reality.

Simbelmynë always feared that she would see her baby the closer her heart came to stopping, because if she did see him it would've meant that her very survival was for... well, nothing.

However she knew if she didn't hear his coo or gaze upon those eyes of blue... it would've meant that she was slipping away, faced with perhaps never seeing her baby again- facing the fact that she had failed. That her son was out there somewhere, growing up without a mother... Her precious little baby.

It had all gotten so much more complicated, Simbelmynë was intertwined much deeper with so many more. It wasn't just about her baby anymore.

It was about Bard and the children, Thorin, Bilbo and the dwarves..

And then there was Legolas and Thranduil...

As her body fell further to the water below Simbelmynë could only think how she would miss them both the most. There was nothing more she dreamed of then watching Legolas' relief when she returned to Mirkwood, seeing the King's scowl turn to a look of shock.

Their first conversation probably would not be a pleasant one, they'd fight, they'd scream, maybe even cry... but deep down they'd both be elated to see the other. He'd forgive her eventually but probably not let her out of his sight for a very long time. Simbelmynë wouldn't mind.

The white haired woman smiled at the thought, picturing the elven king and finally thinking back to those bright blue eyes. Her vision grew dark, body growing heavy and light at the same time.

She could only think of those bright blue eyes belonging to her son.

But she could not sense him.

She had failed.

"Goheno nin, Ionneg"

(Forgive me, my son)

"Sire! We have found the elleth Simbelmynë!" One of the elven King's guards announced, rushing to the King's confinements

"They found Bel?" Bard quickly interrogated, getting to his feet quickly.

"Take me to her, quickly," he ordered, attempting to suppress the smile threatening to grace his face. She was here. Finally.

Thranduil could practically feel her warmth in his arms already as he ran to the shore of the lake. He had feared the worst but it filled his heart with so much joy and relief to hear she was finally found.

If she wished to leave again she would have to deal with him at her toes. There was no way he was leaving her side after all of this.

His grey robes followed him as he rushed out of the tent and to the lake, his hair flowing down his back. His troops moved swiftly aside, allowing their King to pass, none of them daring to move an inch as he rushed past.