Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

SWIFTLAKE | RIVERCLAN CAMP

Swiftlake waited patiently for her fellow companions, studying the stormy clouds while she did.

"How are you so active at night?" Rainyfoot, a pale gray tom with black markings, padded up to her.

"Just am." Swiftlake shrugged unhelpfully, watching Flamepounce and Leopardspots exit the warriors den.

Leopardspots seemed to be the only one out of the other three who was completely awake. Her yellow eyes were bright and cheerful. "Let's go! The borders won't remark themselves!"

The two toms groaned and Swiftlake had to a stifle a giggle. She followed Leopardspots, senses alert for anything.

"Nighttime is awful." Flamepounce grumbled, trailing behind Swiftlake. Rainyfoot was beside him, muttering his agreement.

Daytime is horrible. Swiftlake thought, but kept that to herself. She was one of the only cats in her Clan who slept through the day.

"Ah, cheer up!" Leopardspots's enthusiastic, loud mew echoed against the willows. "We'll mark the border we share with WindClan then we'll be on our way."

"I hope." Flamepounce grimaced.

Swiftlake squinted, seeing the moors.

"We're almost there." Swiftlake offered, hoping that made the two toms behind her happier.

They said nothing, which was fine she supposed. No grumbling, but on the other paw, what if they hadn't changed?

Leopardspots sprinted the rest of the way, skidding to a stop when she arrived at the border. Swiftlake pulled up beside her, nearly going over the border from the all the momentum.

"Rainyfoot, Swiftlake, gradually make your way to the lake. Meet back here once finished." Leopardspots angled her ears to the lake, then turned away with Flamepounce.

Swiftlake lead the way, walking with a little bounce in her step.

"You know," she chattered to Rainyfoot, "you should enjoy the night more. Look at how peaceful everything is."

"Too peaceful." Rainyfoot countered.

Swiftlake looked at him, smiling. "You don't like the peace?"

Rainyfoot's facial features changed. "Er - well, I do."

"Hmm." Swiftlake hummed. "Oh, look, WindClan's moon-high patrol!"

Rainyfoot frowned, padding past her. He called to the WindClan patrol. "Greetings!"

The patrol neared and their faces were troubled.

"Hello, Rainyfoot." One of the warriors stepped forward, glancing at Swiftlake, but apparently they didn't know her name. That had hurt just a little.

"How is everything in WindClan, Goldclaw?" Rainyfoot asked, also noticing their troubled looks.

"One of our medicine cats have gone missing ag-" the warrior, Goldclaw, shook her head with distress.

Was she about to say again? Swiftlake pondered, studying the WindClan cats.

"That's terrible!" Rainyfoot's eyes went wide. "We hope you find them."

"You haven't seen her?" a silver she-cat whispered, voice cracking. Dawnstream. Swiftlake shot her a reassuring smile, but it faded immediately once Swiftlake thought it through.

Oh, StarClan, it's Rosepaw! Nausea swept over Swiftlake. She knew Rosepaw from the Gatherings, and she was an amazing friend. Rosepaw couldn't be missing.