Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

HAZELWILLOW | UNKNOWN TERRITORY

Hazelwillow wordlessly copied Aqua's position, shocked at how her muscles just knew how to slide into a hunting crouch.

Aqua's eyes glittered with joy and... sadness? "Very well, Hazelwillow. You are surpassing me at this point. That crouch is flawless."

Hazelwillow beamed. "Thank you!"

Aqua turned away quickly. "Now notice how I step." Aqua's paw barely lifted off of the ground and reached forward, settling on the ground without disturbing the dirt. "You try."

Hazelwillow mimicked her, taking a few steps forward. Her belly fur brushed against the ground and her eyes were keenly set on the imaginary prey in front of her.

"You are a natural." Aqua purred, sending a good feeling shivering through Hazelwillow. "Let's find a piece of prey. Can you scent anything?"

Hazelwillow opened her mouth and tasted the air. "Squirrel."

Aqua nodded. "Squirrels are harder to catch than mice, but I am certain you will not have any trouble."

Hazelwillow took off, following the scent. She lowered herself into a crouch upon spotting the brown creature, taking slow, careful steps. An instinct she never felt before took over, leading her paws with confidence. Her muscles bunched and she jumped, landing squarely on the squirrel. She snapped the squirrel's spine, hearing the squirrel let out a pitiful squeal before going silent and limp.

"Like I said, you had no problem." Aqua stepped out of the brown ferns, smiling. "Go ahead, eat it."

"Would you like to share?" Hazelwillow dropped the squirrel, nudging it toward her mother.

"I am good, thank you." Aqua purred. "I ate a vole earlier today."

Hazelwillow made an acknowledging sound in her throat, wolfing down the squirrel. Once she was finished, Aqua began speaking.

"I know you are curious about the other cats. When will you meet one or-"

Hazelwillow interrupted her. "No... I think I have met a cat before." She had seen a tortoiseshell face a few days ago, a face that wasn't hers. "It was a tortoiseshell - like me," she gestured to her pelt, "with brilliant green eyes."

"Are you sure you did not see yourself in a reflection?" Aqua sounded hopeful. Hopeful for what?

"No. I'm certain." Hazelwillow stared at the trees. "I feel like I've met other cats too..."

Aqua sucked in a breath. "How about we go meet some old friends of mine?"

"Really? Where do they live?" Hazelwillow buried the squirrel bones, something her paws just had to do.

"I will show you. It is a longer walk, so just stay by me and tell me when you need a rest." Aqua looked at her face one more time, then started walking in the opposite direction. Hazelwillow scurried after her, ears twitching as the sounds of the forest filled the air.

"Where do they live?"

"In this little Twoleg nest. They are the only ones there with their Twolegs, but I have never encountered the Twolegs before." Aqua sighed. "It has been forever since I have seen them."

Hazelwillow was ecstatic to see other cats. Perhaps they'd teach her how to... do something she didn't know how to do. Although she wasn't quite sure what a Twoleg was. Hazelwillow and Aqua walked in a comfortable silence, both enjoying each other's presence. Hazelwillow noted the grass was dewier here, squelching under-paw.