Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

SWIFTLAKE | RIVERCLAN CAMP

Swiftlake was still trying to process what occurred a few days prior. There had been a big battle at WindClan, and despite the bigger numbers of WindClan and RiverClan combined, ThunderClan still won with the help of rogues. Her bottom lip curled with disgust whenever she thought about those nasty rogues. Three smaller ones attacked her and gave her brutal wounds to think about.

Now confined in the medicine cat den, Swiftlake had nothing better to do than chat with her Clanmates. They all were talking about the same things going on inside her head.

"What I don't understand is why ThunderClan did that. What was their motive?" Leopardspots, who had a nasty wound on her belly and a twisted paw, wondered aloud.

Swiftlake was about to answer, but Rainyfoot entered, eyes meeting Swiftlake's with relief. Rainyfoot had thankfully gotten better over the days, but other sick patients, mainly Bluewing, weren't getting any better.

"Softfur wouldn't let me enter yesterday. I thought some cat died-"

Swiftlake let out a mrrow of laughter. "You thought I died?" she knew he was fearful for her death.

Rainyfoot narrowed his eyes slightly. "It's not funny business. What if you died from infection?"

His words dampened Swiftlake's bubbly mood. Swiftlake hesitated, thinking about her next words. "Well... I didn't, so everything's fine."

Rainyfoot sat beside her, his wet nose nuzzling her cheek. "Everything is fine."

Softfur padded over. "Swiftlake, I need to redress your cobwebs. Once I do, you're free to go outside." Enthusiasm built up inside of Swiftlake. She could go fishing again!

"Of-"

"Of my den." Softfur meowed bluntly, a knowing look in her eye. "Stay in camp. Your wound might reopen if you stretch it too much."

Swiftlake deflated visibly. "Got it." At least I can be outside and away from the stuffiness of this den. Swiftlake shared a look with Rainyfoot before twisting around, letting Softfur access her shoulder.

Softfur took off the old, bloody cobwebs and put on new cobwebs. "There. You can go, but come back before dawn so I can check on it. One more day in here, too..."

Swiftlake purred, thanking the medicine cat and walking out with Rainyfoot.

"Are you hungry?" Rainyfoot asked, spying the prey pile.

"I am." Swiftlake sheepishly ducked her head when her stomach growled loudly.

Rainyfoot purred. "Did Softfur never feed you?" he teased, eyes sparkling.

"Never." Swiftlake joked, beelining for the pile. She searched the pile, frowning. "No trout."

Rainyfoot was shoving his nose through the fish and mammals, but he came out unsuccessful. "I can go fish for one-"

Swiftlake rested her tail on his shoulders. "No, we can do your favorite piece of prey." She grabbed a plump vole. "Vole."

Rainyfoot led her to a secluded spot in the camp and stretched, laying down. Swiftlake plopped down beside him, jaws parting in a big yawn as the moon bathed over her fur.

"It feels so nice having the moon wash over me." Swiftlake murmured.

Rainyfoot had his mouth full with vole, so he grunted with acknowledgement. Swiftlake took a delicate bite, not too sure she'd ever like the taste of the furry animal. She took one more bite then nudged the vole over to Rainyfoot.

Rainyfoot swallowed his bite, looking thoughtful. "Swiftlake, while we're both not too interested in having kits, would you ever consider having kits?"

Swiftlake nodded eagerly. "Of course! I'm not ready yet and I'm rather young."

Rainyfoot's eyes widened and he nodded. "Same, same."

Swiftlake got up, giving her pelt a shake. "I know Softfur doesn't want me going out of camp, but can we go on a walk?"

Rainyfoot looked uncertain. "I don't see the harm... we're only walking..."

Swiftlake whisked her tail. "Come on! We'll be back before she knows."

Rainyfoot buried the vole bones quickly and trotted to meet her at the entrance.

"Where are you two going?" Skybird asked, stationed at the entrance for the night.

"A walk." Swiftlake purred, twining her tail with Rainyfoot's. "We'll be back soon."

"Ah." Skybird's eyes glinted with a teasing look. "Take your time."

Swiftlake dropped her voice. "Don't tell Softfur where we went if she happens to ask you."

"Oh?" Skybird cocked her head, prompting Swiftlake to continue.

"I'm technically not supposed to be going outside of camp, but I need to go walk around out there."

Skybird shrugged. "Go ahead. Don't worry, I got your back. I'll make some lie up if the time ever comes."

"Thank you." Swiftlake and Rainyfoot padded out of camp, beginning to talk their mouths off.

After the chatter faded away, the pair got to enjoy the silence of the moonlit forest.

"We need to do this more often." Rainyfoot meowed softly, shooting her a fond look.

Swiftlake's lips tugged upward in a smile. "Every night?"

"Oh, StarClan, no! I'm already struggling to stay awake right now. My worry for you was what kept me up."

Swiftlake faltered in her step. Worry for her. She pressed her pelt firmly against his, eyes closing. However, a strange sound - almost like a growl - made her open them. Rainyfoot stiffened and stopped walking, ears twitching.

"What was that?" Swiftlake whispered, narrowing her eyes.

"Move!" Rainyfoot moved faster than her, shoving her out of the way as a ginger-furred creature slammed into him.

Swiftlake gasped, fur bristling and tail bushing. Baring her teeth, she started attacking the fox, but there was a searing pain in her shoulder. When she overstretched to hit the fox, her wound opened. The cobwebs were blood red already and her whole leg was on fire, but she kept fighting.

The fox turned to her, paw swiping across her face. Red blinded her and she took a dazed step back, shaking her head.

A cry from Rainyfoot jolted her back into focus. The fox was holding onto his throat.

"Let go, you awful beast!" Swiftlake flung herself carelessly at the fox, knocking herself and fox into a tree. The fox hit the tree back-first and a horrible snap came from the impact. Swiftlake collided with the fox's fur, softening her collision. She got up and ran, not caring to kill the fox; it was already dead. The snap had been its spine.

She rushed over to Rainyfoot, eyes settling on the blood seeping out of his throat.

"Oh my-" Swiftlake didn't know what to do, so she kept repeating that phrase, nosing him up.

"Swiftlake, it hurts." Rainyfoot whimpered, voice raspy and weak.

"Shh, shh, don't talk. Lean on me." Swiftlake quickly ripped off her cobwebs and plastered them onto his throat, trying to hide the fear in her eyes when they locked eyes. She led the way back to camp, blinking away any tears that threatened to fall.

"StarClan, what happened!" Skybird leapt to her paws the second Swiftlake and Rainyfoot limped into the clearing.

"Softfur!" Swiftlake yowled, ignoring her.

Softfur poked her head out of the medicine cat den, eyes widening at the sight of Rainyfoot. Before she even opened her jaws to ask, Swiftlake answered.

"Fox attack."

Don't let him die, please, StarClan.

---

-artemis