Chapter Eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN

SWIFTLAKE | RIVERCLAN CAMP

It wasn't typical for Swiftlake to stay up when the sun was up, but her concern for Rainyfoot was eating away at her insides restlessly. She had only gotten to see Rainyfoot when Softfur was putting cobwebs on her shoulder, but she was kicked out since she was good enough to care for herself.

It was the second day after the accident. Swiftlake paced back-and-forth, ignoring a call from Sunfur. She hadn't done anything for the past two days besides wait and wait. She got a wink of sleep and a nibble of prey.

When she spotted Softfur's cream fur, she darted over.

"Softfur?" she called, trying to catch the she-cat's attention as the medicine cat beelined for Marigoldstar's den.

"Hm?" Softfur looked troubled, and Swiftlake only feared the worst. Her stomach dropped.

"Rainyfoot..."

"Come with me. I have to tell Marigoldstar." Softfur murmured, whisking her fluffy tail.

Just as they arrived, Marigoldstar erupted from her den, nearly colliding with Softfur.

"Oh, Softfur!" Marigoldstar's eyes traveled to Swiftlake, and almost like an afterthought, she added, "Swiftlake."

Softfur glanced around, tongue swiping around her muzzle. "I have news about Rainyfoot."

"Is he dead?" Marigoldstar voiced Swiftlake's darkest thought. Swiftlake trembled, clenching her jaw to refrain from wailing.

Softfur shook her head, shocking Marigoldstar and Swiftlake alike.

"No, it's just... he's mute now. Whatever that fox did hit something in his throat."

"Oh." Swiftlake was much calmer. "That's not too bad."

"He's pretty upset about it." Softfur meowed. "But I think he wants to see you. I think."

Swiftlake left without a warning. She trotted into the medicine cat, walking over to Rainyfoot. The pale gray tom was curled up, but he was awake, twisting to look at her.

"Hey," she meowed softly, sitting beside him. "I heard..." she had to say no more.

Rainyfoot's ears flattened unhappily.

"You should be grateful." Swiftlake licked his head. "You could've died."

Rainyfoot shrugged.

"I wouldn't mind being mute." Swiftlake tried to cheer him up.

Rainyfoot's look told her she'd change her mind if she was actually mute.

"Well... how are we supposed to communicate?" Swiftlake stared into Rainyfoot's eyes, sighing. "We'll figure it out."

Some cat cleared their throat behind her. Swiftlake shifted, meeting Softfur's blue eyes.

"Swiftlake, I've heard several of your friends you haven't slept properly for the last two days. I order you as your medicine cat to go sleep. Would you like some poppy seeds to help?"

"No. I can fall asleep on my own." Swiftlake meowed, begrudgingly moving away from Rainyfoot.

Softfur nodded and started sifting through herbs. Swiftlake sent Rainyfoot a loving look before walking out.

"Swiftlake!" Sunfur called out again. This time Swiftlake acknowledged her, trotting over.

"Yes, Sunfur?"

Sunfur looked relieved. "You finally notice me!"

Swiftlake stifled a laugh. "It was hard to notice any cat. I wonder if Stonethroat ever put me on a patrol?"

"Not that I remember... but he knows you typically go on the night patrol, so I think you're safe. Besides, every cat knows you were too worried for Rainyfoot to focus on patrolling." Sunfur paused, her expression changing. "How is Rainyfoot anyway?"

"He's fine." Swiftlake chose her words carefully. She didn't know if Rainyfoot wanted the Clan to know immediately that he was unable to speak. If she told Sunfur, the news would spread like wildfire. It wasn't that Sunfur gossiped her anything, but she usually told her friends (including Swiftlake) things cats told her that she found interesing.

"That's good." Sunfur meowed, about to say more, but Swiftlake cut her off.

"I'm tired, so I'm gonna..." she tipped her head to the warrior cats den, yawning for effect. She was tired, but she just wanted Sunfur to take a step back. The sudden lack of sleep caused her to become irritated quickly.

Sunfur's eyes widened. "Oh, of course, of course! Sleep well!" her friend hollered after her as she padded toward the den. Once inside, Swiftlake found an available nest. The only other cat who was usually in there with her was Leopardspots, but she was still kept in the medicine cat den.

Swiftlake stretched and spun around once, curling up.

***

When Swiftlake awoke, it was the middle of the night. Cats were crowding her, so she had to fight her way out of the mass of bodies to get out. She may or may not have stepped on a cat's tail. She certainly heard a shout of pain, but she was going to pretend she did nothing and slipped out.

Her eyes adjusted quickly to the dark setting and she trotted to the medicine cat den, the sound of hushed whispering reached her ears.

"My kit..." Brightblossom's voice was hoarse.

Softfur was crouched beside her, silently staring at one of Brightblossom's coughing kits. Swiftlake stopped, knowing she shouldn't be intruding.

"Swiftlake." Leopardspots deathly quiet whisper pulled her attention to her friend. "What's going on?"

"One of Brightblossom's kits is getting worse." Swiftlake mewed gravely. How awful it must be to be a mother and know your kit may be in the paws of StarClan soon.

"That must suck." Leopardspots puffed, wincing when she tried to stretch. "I heard Rainyfoot's..." a silencing glare from Swiftlake stopped her. In her peripheral vision Swiftlake saw Rainyfoot's ear flick.

Is he awake? Swiftlake wondered, padding over.

"Hey, you." Swiftlake murmured, sweeping her tail across his pelt.

Rainyfoot stirred, craning his head to look at her.

"Good... never mind." It was still nighttime. "Does your throat hurt?"

Rainyfoot nodded.

"Do you need moss?" Swiftlake whispered, but a gentle voice sounded in her ear.

"Swiftlake, is something wrong?" Softfur asked.

"Well, no... I was just dropping by." Swiftlake sheepishly met Softfur's gaze.

Softfur sighed, strolling over. "Rainyfoot, do you need more honey?"

Rainyfoot made a face, shaking his head hastily.

"I can get him water-"

Softfur purred. "You're acting like a medicine cat." Her eyes landed on Swiftlake's shoulder. "Actually, before you do that, let's redress that wound."

---

boring chapter. yeah rainyfoots mute. im doing such awful things to all of my characters, but theres one cat who im anticipating to... do things to.

-artemis