*ೃ༄ 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄♡

I'll spare you the details of Maria Isabella Francesca Camille Valentina Cecille Teodoro's rough upbringing.

With grandparents obsessed with religion, parents obsessed with academic success, and a Cuban family, home was never Maria's favorite place.

But right now, our story isn't even about Maria. Right now, it's about the Alvarez's.

"Mom! Maria doesn't care how the blanket is folded." Alex complained,

"It's my house, guests are coming over, and I care. If you want her over here you'll fold that blanket right." Penelope ordered.

"You know, prohibiting her from coming over here would actually hinder my education." He continued, folding the blanket like he had been told.

"What's going on?" Elena asked, entering behind her grandmother.

"Papito is having a girl over." Penelope frowned.

"What?" Elena teased.

"Papito does not love me anymore? I guess I'll just die!" Lydia dramatized.

"She's just coming over for a history project." Alex rolled his eyes.

"Oh- okay." Lydia smiled.

"Is she your girlfriend? Is she Cuban?" Elena mocked.

"I don't sound like that." Lydia shook her head.

"No and yes." Alex nodded.

"Que?" Lydia gasped.

There was suddenly a knock at the door.

"A Cuban knock." She said, placing a hand to her chest.

"Everybody be chill." Alex advised, opening the door to Maria, holding a thick binder

Now it's about Maria.

Maria wasn't some kind of supermodel. She was your typical fourteen year old girl. She had caramel skin, big brown eyes, dark curly hair. The thing that made Maria, Maria was her signature wine colored lipstick. Her family thought it made her look older than she was, her classmates thought she was trying too hard, but Maria didn't care. She felt she looked naked without lipstick, and never let anyone see her without it.

"Teodoro." Alex greeted.

"Alvarez." She pressed her lips into a curt smile. After a moment of everyone staring at her, Maria spoke up, "So should we get right to work?..."

"Yes, come in." Alex nodded, closing the door behind her.

"Hello." She waved curtly.

"Hi." Lydia smiled. "I'm Lydia."

"I'm Maria." She smiled back. "You must be Alex's mother." She knew the way into the heart of a Cuban grandmother.

"She gets it." Lydia nodded.

"I'm Alex's mom." Penelope nodded, stepping in.

"Pleased to meet you." Maria said.

"I'm his sister!" Elena called from behind her.

"I know you." Maria nodded, a little worried. She turned back to Penelope, smiling, "It's so lovely to meet you, Ms. Alvarez, thank you so much for having me."

Penelope looked confused. "She's so polite."

"And were not?" Alex asked.

"Hush, this is my baby now." Penelope nodded, putting an arm around Maria and escorting her to the kitchen table. "Can I get you anything, new favorite child?" She questioned.