1985

"Mike please, we're going home." Stan says, getting in the car.

"No, please. Just let me show you this first!!"

"No." Stan closes the car door, motioning for me to get in. 

"Let's just let him." I sigh.

"Thank you, Bill." Mike replies, taking my hand and beginning to walk, only turning behind to see if Stan will follow.

"Stanley, come on sweetheart." I say calmy.

Stan shakes his head. "I think I'll wait here. We're going home."

"Stan..." I take a long, deep, sigh. "Alright, I'll be right back."

"I love you." He mouths at me.

"I love you too." I mouth back before turning away and following Mike. I look back seeing Stan turn on the radio, most likely listening to The Beatles. He looks exhausted, like he just wants to go home and sleep. I don't blame him, I haven't slept in two days, I'm tired too. I just want to go home, watch television, eat soup, and spend time with my husband, but I can't. I have to be here, and listen to Mike one last time. If he somehow convinces me to stay, I will, but he wont. I am going home.

Mike takes me into his own car, driving in awkward silence, the only noise being the other 3 cars on the nights road.

"So..." He mumbles after a minute of silence. "You and Stan are still....friends? How?"

"We just...never planned on...not, I guess." I reply, blushing.

"You visit each other a lot?" 

"We live together."

"Really? So you two are very close...friends then? Even after 27 years?"

"We're..." I hesitate. "He's my husband, Mike."

"He's your..." Mike shakes his head in shock. "You're married? Isn't that...illegal?"

"Well, not technically. We just had a wedding you know? Nothing um...legal, just...yeah." I twiddle my thumbs awkwardly, not being able to tell his feelings about queer people.

"That's...I didn't expect that." He says bluntly. "But...that's cool. Thanks for telling me."

"Yeah." I smile. "I didn't expect it either."

"When did you two...?" 

"Well we were practically dating since we were 14..."

"Really? How did nobody notice."

"We didn't want them to." I shrug.

"When did you two get married?" Mike takes a sharp turn, making the whole car shake.

"12 years ago." I smile fondly. 

"Wow, congrats man."

"Thanks." I tap my leg with two fingers.

We sit in silence for another few minutes.

"I never thought anything of that...when I was a kid." Mike chuckles. "You and Beverly seemed so...."

"In love?" I laugh. "I don't even remember dating her."

"Really?"

"The only thing I remember about this shitty town is him."

"Stan?"

"Who else?" I grin. 

"I'm happy for you."

"Thanks. Most people would kill me for this."

"You two seem good."

"I'd like to think we are."