19. The Right decision

What? This can't be happening, for why on earth have I been sent this email? Why is Eldrich offering me a position as a senior cardio doc there? I haven't even applied for any kind of job over there

What? This can't be happening, for why on earth have I been sent this email? Why is Eldrich offering me a position as a senior cardio doc there? I haven't even applied for any kind of job over there. It must surely be a mistake but why did it say my name? Maybe Aaira knows something about it- With trembling hands I reached for my phone and called Aaira. After several moments she picked up the call, her tone groggy with sleep.

"Hello" she mumbled; her voice filled with confusion. 

"Aaira this is Krish" I said "I just received an email from Eldrich Patients Hospital in the USA. They're offering me a position" There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line, broken only by the sound of her sharp intake of breath. 

"What?" she exclaimed "But how, sir? I mean, congratulations Krish, but I had no idea..." Aaira was my confidante, my trusted assistant who handled all his professional affairs with meticulous care, how could she not know about such a monumental opportunity?

"I don't understand Aaira, shouldn't you have been informed about this? You handle all my correspondence." There was a pause, and I could sense Aaira's unease through the phone line and Afterall it's after office hours I' m calling her, I'd better just discuss things tomorrow morning. 

"I.. I'm sorry, Sir" she stammered, her voice faltering, "I honestly don't know anything about it. I didn't receive any notification or communication regarding this offer" A shiver ran down my spine as I absorbed her words. If Aaira didn't know about the job offer, then who did? And more importantly, why was it kept from me?

"Thank you, Aaira I'll figure this out, sorry for asking you up, we'll discuss this firstly tomorrow morning."  

As I ended the call, one unsettling truth lingers over me, admist it all, someone has orchestrated this offer without my consent, and I was determined to uncover the truth behind it

(The next day)

The morning sun streamed through the window casting long shadows across the room as I sat at my desk, discussing the email thing with Aaira. 

"Sir, should I go and check with the hospital authorities about the email you received last night? Or I can even schedule a meeting with them in 10 mins" she said while glancing at her watch but it's just the very last thing I would want right now, to let anyone know about this unless and until I'm conformed with it. 

"No No, Aaira it's the very last thing I would want at this moment to let people know about this, I hope this information is confidential between us, you know I just don't want to keep any of us in false hopes, I hope you understand." 

"Of course, sir"  

"Thankyou Aaira, but something doesn't feel right about it." 

And before Aaira could respond, the door of my office swung opened, and Mr. Mathur entered with a grave expression on his face. Behind him, Aaira hovered, her usual composed demeanor faltering slightly.