𝟐𝟎 | 𝐒𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐀𝐧𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐬

It only took us around ten or so more minutes to arrive at our destination

When I stepped out of the car before Nicolas, a wide view of mountains covered in green came into my vision. The city lights, now beginning to shine as the sky slowly became dark while stars started to be visible, a lake down the mountains as if it was the heart of this place, reflecting the blurred and rippling images of everything that was near it; even the sky shone brightly in its reflection despite the night taking over. A gentle breeze flowed through the air, delicately stroking my skin as if it were silk. There were also other people there; some were couples walking together, some were families with children, and some were alone, either tourists or folks who loved their own company. But they were all on lower ground than where we were standing.

Awe struck me at the beauty of the scene in front of me. "What is this place?"

"This," Nicolas adds, standing beside me and tucking his hands inside his pants pocket. "Is San Vicente Mountain Park."

I took a long inhale of air, closing my eyes and slightly tilting my head upward. "I love this calm." A smile spreads on my face.

"You have never been here before?" He enquires.

I scoff, opening my eyes before looking at him. "Can't you tell by the question I asked before?"

He chuckles. "I just thought your family lives here, so maybe you'd know." He looks at the view in front of us. "I am glad it was indeed a surprise for you."

The smile on my face instantly fades, and pain washes over me upon hearing that one particular word.

Family.

I don't know what that thing—that word—even means now for me. It was only my father who dominated it, regardless of what others believed or did, and I don't believe family should be ruled over.

It's a place for adjustments, listening to each other, talking things out, laughing and crying together, and, above all, a place where you feel loved. Wanted.

As for me or my home, I never felt any of it, not anymore.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

My surroundings came back into focus when Nicolas's calm voice rang in my ear. When my gaze went to him, I found him waiting for me to speak while his soft ones bored into my soul.

"Talk about what?" Despite the obvious, I try to sound unfazed.

A small frown played on his forehead as he took a small step toward me, making my body stiff. "You know what I am talking about, Feisty." Another step, and my breath hitches. "That whole how to be a father lecture at the cafe earlier wasn't just for a show, and we both know that."

My gut twisted into knots, and I could feel the sting appearing at the corner of my eyes. "It's nothing." I mumble.

He inclines his face to match my level. "Is it?"