'Best of' Interviews

BEST DIALOGUE

SLATE GRAY by alpaljames

1. What's your key to having good dialogue? Are there specific things you're looking to do or achieve with dialogue?

I find that the key to cultivating good dialogue is to read it out loud while you write. A lot of times, what looks great on paper, can sound long winded or awkward when spoken. Also, not every character should have the same cadence or use the same vocabulary. For good dialogue, an author needs to decide whether their character is prone to contractions or has a formal way of speaking. Do they curse? Stutter? Have an accent? All things you need to take into account when writing good dialogue. 

 Something specific I always set out to achieve with my dialogue is character development. Sure, you need dialogue to move the plot along, explore relationships or set the stage for action, but my favorite things to write are the little slices of life and off-hand comments that give you true insight into who these people are. No one ever says 100% of what they're thinking. We mask it with jokes, facts or diversions. And finding the truth beneath a scoff or a quippy one-liner, can reveal so much about our characters. 

2. Do you have any examples of good dialogue that you look up to? From books or other forms of media.

Since I have a background in screenwriting, movies and TV have a lot of influence over my dialogue. I love the pop culture banter that Eric Kripke always sneaks into his projects ("Supernatural", "The Boys") as well as the fast paced, humorous back and forth of any and all Amy Sherman-Palladino shows ("Gilmore Girls", "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel", "Bunheads", etc). But if you want to study great dialogue, look no further than "Casablanca" which is still, to this day, considered one of the best scripts ever written. Every line serves a purpose, provides insight to the characters and moves the plot along in a way that's truly mesmerizing. Nothing is extraneous, everything has meaning. It's truly a masterclass in dialogue that I encourage everyone to check out!

BEST COVER

BLACK AVATARE by SuVida777

1. How do you personally go about creating a good book cover?

Everything I write has a touch of anime, and I'm an artist. So I draw my covers. I love covers that have cool illustrations, especially depicting the protagonist. It gives a feel for whose story the book will be about. I've also heard that readers connect more with these sorts of covers. My stories are pretty character-driven, so all the more reason to depict the character.

For Wattpad, it's important to have big titles that pop out, so I think of that when I do the composition. I also embed various elements and symbols in the cover--stuff that has meaning in the story.

2. What are some examples of book covers you absolutely love or look up to?

There are so many, so it's hard to pick. I love the cover of Revenger by Alastair Reynolds. It's minimalist, striking and conveys a lot about the story. Other covers I love include: The Priory of the Orange Tree, Six Crimson Cranes, Iron Widow, Molly Moon, Wilderlore, Blindsprings...All of these have pretty illustrations!

BEST BLURB

THE SALTPORT ATM by MuscialKehleigh

1. What do you believe are the key ingredients of a good blurb?

I think the best blurbs strike the perfect balance between giving enough information without spoiling the entire plot. The ones that especially catch my attention include a unique angle or situation that I think would be fun to read. I also like blurbs that have a strong "voice," more colloquial or sarcastic. If it reflects the voice of the main character, I can sometimes gauge how much I will enjoy the story even before I start reading. The last thing that I look for are strong words or tropes that I enjoy, for instance spies, retellings, thieves, and heists. In a good blurb, it should foreshadow the tropes that will either draw or deter potential readers.

2. What advice would you have for others who struggle with writing strong blurbs?

One of the best exercises is creating a logline first, then adding in some extra details for the blurb. A logline distills the plot down into a single, punchy sentence. In my opinion, if you can get a really strong logline that catches people's attention, adding some extra details in the blurb will come easier because the framework is already there. Some other things that might be helpful are brainstorming and integrating strong words/ tropes into the blurb and also reading other good blurbs and loglines. Some of my favorite loglines are actually Mission Impossible TV episode descriptions. Pretty much every single one is very punchy and intriguing.

BEST OPENING LINE

RHODOREEF by SuVida777

THE SECRET SONGS OF D.C. SILVERENN by MusicalKehleigh

1. How do you formulate your opening line?

From SuVida777:
The opening line is so important. I want it to be quirky, grab interest and convey a feel for the story! The sea cow in Rhodoreef plays an important part in the plot and is a bit of a symbol. So having him in the first line also seemed fitting!

From MusicalKehleigh:
I mostly try to imagine where my character is in the first chapter, then think of an interesting way to start the chapter. If I can't think of something super punchy or voice-heavy for my character, I try for a flowery description to bring the reader into the scene. I also like to think of interesting comparisons or metaphors, such as "drinking your money" with an expensive latte, or ocean waves being "the song of the summer."

2. What are you favourite opening lines from novels? Why?

From SuVida777:
"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." This is such a fun opening line. It's telling us to expect some not-so-normal stuff and lots of fun when the Dursleys have to deal with it. XD

From MusicalKehleigh:
I like lines that aren't overly cliche, like "my life is over" or starting with a curse word (though I have started books like that... oops). Those are easy ways to relate to young adults, but I think they're a little stale at this point. They're fine if that's how you want to start the story, but I think there could be more effective ways. The one caveat is if it truly fits the story and isn't seeming like a cheap way to get my attention, or if the trope is subverted in some way. Honestly, the first line doesn't have to blow my mind. As long as it brings me into the scene, I'm good with it. It's important for the first line to flow into the first chapter and bring me into the story. The best first line won't make me keep reading if I don't enjoy chapter one.