38 | mystery accomplice

February, 1995.

"We need a test subject," Devonte told them as they walked to class.

"We can use one of the owls, can't we?" Nayun suggested. "We can't do it to one of us in case it goes terribly wrong."

"And doing it on an owl is better because...?" Imani raised an eyebrow in question.

"Because we can revive an owl and if it looks funny afterwards, that's alright," Nayun explained calmly. "We do not judge here."

"Guys, pick up the pace." Joey's voice was sharp as she hurried her steps. "We're already ten minutes late to Charms."

"So we can get one of the owls and ask if we can use McGonagall's class for practicing," Devonte confirmed just as they reached the classroom.

Joey opened the door and let herself in, which caused every pair of eyes to turn to them. "Sorry we're late," she said quietly. "We—"

"Got lost," Devonte stupidly said.

"No, we did not get lost," Imani interjected, glaring at the boy. "We— We just—"

"We were plotting," Nayun beamed.

Joey face-palmed.

"The truth, please," the professor droned.

"We were plotting," Joey and Nayun said in unison at the same time as Imani and Devonte said, "We got lost."

The four shared a look before looking at the professor.

"We got lost," Joey and Nayun said in unison at the same time as Imani and Devonte said, "We were plotting."

"No, yes. Yeah, no. No, yeah, of course, sir," Devonte answered in a nonchalant manner. "We were plotting our way through the lost castle. Brilliant, isn't it? We'll turn this into a comic book, shall we? The Plot of the Lost Castle. Bam. Amazing title. Tell all your friends. Coming out in the summer of '95."

"Now, now," Flitwick said slowly, perplexed. "Just take your seats."

"Plotting?" Imani hissed once the professor resumed his lesson and they went to their seats. "Seriously, both of you?

"I'm sorry, but would you rather have everyone think the four of us got lost like dimwits in a school we've all attended for six years?" Nayun replied in a whisper.

"Fair point," Joey allowed, and they all sat in the back.

"Okay, so we'll meet up after school in McGonagall's class, right?" Devonte whispered, sitting next to Joey as his eyes bounced between his three best friends.

Nayun glanced over her shoulder since she was seated next to Imani, and said, "Yes, we'll ask if we could borrow that owl in her room."

"We should use a different animal." Imani kept her voice a whisper. "An owl makes no sense to Transfigure into a—"

"Miss Kumar." Flitwick's pointed voice rose as he cleared his throat. "Do you, Miss Honrada, Miss Mun, and Mister Russell have anything to share with the rest of us?"

"Yes." Devonte nodded sternly and pointed a figure between all his classmates. "Just so you all know—you never steal owls without permission. The owls will come and get you back for it, I tell you."

Chuckles and snickers waved through the room and the professor sighed heavily. "Yes, thank you," he said exasperatedly. "You do not take any creature without permission."

"Preach it, mate." Devonte banged his fist against his chest.

The class giggled and laughed once more. "Alright, take out your textbooks, you four, and start taking notes," Flitwick demanded before carrying on with his lesson.