Sleepwalker

"So... where are we? Exactly?" Elizabeth asked, stepping carefully over the branches lining the woodlands forest. Bryce's flashlight flickered, leaving the duo in pitch black for a second. A quick slap of the handle and a shake and the light came back, blinding him.

"Agh- I don't know, Liz." The dalmatian whispered back at her, the only part of him being even partially visible being the cuffs of his jeans when he aimed the light down. He took a few steps forward, the crunching of leaves continuing, Elizabeth following him close behind.

"We need to get back to the path. To camp." Elizabeth hissed back at him, keeping her voice down. She looked around into the darkness, seeing nothing past a few feet in front of her. Skinny trunks of hundreds of trees surrounded the duo, water dripping down slowly, stretching on for who knows how long.

Bryce weaved his way around a few trees before stopping for a second, Elizabeth stopping a few feet behind him. He pulled out his phone, only a bar and a dozen percent left, and checked maps again. Futile attempt, as the connection was still too low. He sighed, staring down at the screen with a hollow gaze. The screen turned black, He turned around, shining the light onto Elizabeth, engulfing her in light.

Elizabeth covered her eyes, not used to the bright beam at her. Her once pearly white sweater now damp from rain, a sickly gray color. He let the light fall to her feet, covered in mud.

"You're still wet." Bryce said in a feeble attempt of a joke.

"As if you aren't" She snarled. And she wasn't wrong, the rain had stopped only about an hour ago. He shivered, his hand coming up to his arm, rubbing his damp sleeves in a futile attempt to warm himself.

"We have to keep going, we can't stay here. It's not safe." Elizabeth said in a low tone, her feet shuffling through the wet green at her feet, walking up to Bryce. She put her hand on his shoulder, patting him a few times before continuing past him, grabbing the flashlight with her other free hand. She held the light up shining into the deep darkness in front of her.

Bryce turned to follow her, but didn't get far, as he ran right into Elizabeth. But the leaves. They kept crunching.

"It's here..."