Chapter 6

Enjoy this next part! I'll try to update more often!

         Chapter Six

Clara realised something as she made her way to the big house. She didn't quite like it. It gave off an air that disturbed her, made her shiver. It was as if someone was throwing ice sickles at her, each one running up and down her spine, putting her teeth on edge. She turned back to look at the Doctor. She wondered if he too felt it.

He knew that Clara was right in front of him but he felt very alone. His eyes kept moving from the hot, dry sand to the eerie household they were moving towards. It was mainly constructed out of dark wood; the board's crisscrossing each other. Where the boards came from, he didn't know. It was a wasteland around them. They would have to have been shipped here, but that would have made tracks, something of evidence, even if it was built long ago and there was nothing of the sort here.

But the Doctor then remembered what planet he was on. Opius is constructed by the mind. The boards weren't moved here, they were dreamt here.

Clara reached the house first, obviously, and she stood in front of its doors waiting for her designated driver to catch up. She watched him as he did. She was happy that she had something else to look at other then the horrid house.

"You alright?" He asked once he was by her side. Clara grinned a little, just slyly, meeting his eyes. "I don't know. I just feel..." "I think the word you're looking for is scared." He finished for her. Clara shook her head after her grin changed quickly. "No, I am not scared." She told him harshly. The Doctor put his hand to the handle and winked at his companion. "Doesn't happen often does it?" He teased her.

Clara realised what he was doing and smiled at him, cheekily. "Well, I wouldn't be talking, chin boy." She responded. He laughed. Clara was glad, it lightened the mood.

The Doctor tried to open the door but it was stuck a little. He licked his lips as he put his shoulder into it, hoping for an easy entrance. The place looked as if it could fall apart at any given moment, so he wanted to be careful.

Finally, the door gave and it opened with a creek. Clara winced at the sound. It reminded her of nails on a chalkboard. The Doctor snuck a glance at his companion, looking for any signs of discomfort. She looked as if she should be, she did look scared, but the Timelord couldn't do anything about that, unfortunately.

"You go first." Clara told him quietly. She had her arms crossed over her chest and she was biting her upper lip, a sign that she was nervous. The Doctor nodded as he slowly pushed open the door.

As he took those first steps into the old, abandoned house, he felt himself physically get colder. He felt the temperature plummet from the deserts hot, sticky air. He took a deep breath, preparing himself for the darkness.

Clara followed behind him, right behind him. She practically had her hand on his back, making sure he didn't stray too far from her. The room was very dark, she couldn't see too far in front of her. The Doctor had his sonic out and it was lit up at the end but even that didn't provide appropriate light.

The two of them crawled through the house, slowly, with the little light they had to go off of. It took Clara's eyes a while to adjust but soon she could make out door frames and staircases as they passed. The house seemed to go on forever, they kept getting deeper and deeper.

"Clara." The Doctor said her name to get her attention. Her grasp tightened on the back of his coat. "Yes, what is it?" She asked quickly. She then felt a hand on her arm, grabbing it, and soon she had let go of the Doctor's coat and he was facing her, holding both her hands in his own. "I'm gonna turn on the lights, now." He told her. She gave him a confused look that he couldn't make out in the dark. "Okay, isn't that a good thing?" She asked. She could just see the outline of his face as he turned to look around him. "Well, yes, but...I don't know." He started. "Don't you have a bad feeling about this?" "Yes and no but I think that with the lights on we will be able to see." Clara told him. She then felt the Doctor shiver, she felt it in his hands. She looked down at them for a split second and then began to worry. "I'm afraid, Clara. I don't want to know what's in here. We were led here for a reason; they're not going to let us off easy." "What, so you think it's haunted or something?" She asked him. The Doctor raised and lowered his shoulder in a shrug. "You never know, it might be." He whispered.

Clara had had enough. She pulled her hands from the Doctor's but didn't move her feet. "Doctor, you're being ridiculous. Turn on the lights." She urged him on.

He held his hands out in front of him, as if he was still holding her hands. Clara heard him gulp. "Alright." He stretched out the word so that she was able to hear every syllable, softly but clearly.

The Timelord then raised his sonic in the air between the two of them. Clara had her eyes on it. The Doctor nodded and she could just see his outline. She nodded back hoping he could see her.

The Doctor pressed down on the screwdriver, the tip lighting up and with it the house. Finally, they could see where they were. Clara's eyes lit up before they settled on something behind the Doctor. Her grin disappeared from her face. There was a big creature behind the Doctor and she wasn't happy.