Chapter 41

HARRY STYLES

I haven't seen my baby since October, and we're nearing the middle of December. Nothing in my life has ever been more difficult than keeping away from her just to ensure that Allison can't use my unwelcome and sudden presence at her flat against me in court. Mr. Wang told me he understood how difficult it would be, but that my respect for Allison and the situation would go a long way with the judge. So, I was obedient.

Today's the day. It's my turn to have Jane for the day so we can have our appointment with the social worker, and this is the first time I've truly smiled since the last time I saw her. My heart feels like it could burst, and nothing could upset me—not even the snow falling from the dark grey sky, which I hate. It's still a beautiful day.

"Here's good, this is fine," I tap the back of the passenger seat chair in the Uber until the driver stops.

I'm quick to get out of the car, minding the icy pavement as I walk right up to Allison's building. I try to keep my smile at bay as I let myself inside and make long strides toward the lift before the doors can close. I exhale an apology to the person inside and hit the button for the third floor, raking my fingers through my damp hair.

Just like the last time I was here, I nearly squeeze out of the elevator and almost jog down the hall to Allison's door. Rather than using my key, though, I knock and wait with my hands behind my back. About a minute later, the door opens and Allison is standing there in a pair of dark-wash jeans, dark brown boots, and a cream jumper.

"Hi," I breathe out and look past her, trying to see where Jane is before she opens the door all the way.

The second Jane appears from down the hallway with Max and Charlie in hand, I laugh through the tears filling my eyes and crouch down with my arms out. She's beaming as she runs to me and wraps her arms around my neck. My tears slide out as soon as I close my eyes to hold her against my chest as I rise to my feet.

"I missed you, Daddy," she says sweetly.

"I missed you so much, angel," I laugh in return, rubbing her back.

Allison doesn't look angry as I open my eyes to see her. She looks even more exhausted than she did at the first hearing and she looks sad. If anything, she almost looks guilty as she clears her throat and mumbles that she's going to go get Jane's coat.

"Look at me," I pull back until Jane does the same, placing her hands on my face. "You're so pretty."

Her smile grows as she starts playing with my hair. "How come your hair is wet, Daddy?"

"Because it's snowing outside, princess," I reluctantly set her down so that Allison can put her coat on her.

"I'll see you tonight, Jane," she kisses her cheek. "I love you."

"Love you too," Jane replies before reaching up for me again, so I lift her and hold her on my hip.

"You said I can keep her until dinner?"

Straight-faced, Allison nods. "Please just not too late so I can give her a bath and put her to bed on time."

"Alright," I take a step back. "I'll let you know when I'm on my way. Probably around 8:00."

She nods again, smiling tightly before she closes and locks the door. My grin returns as I look at Jane again, and she giggles as I wiggle my brows at her on our way to the lift. Just feeling her arms around my neck and the weight of her in my arms is enough to make me cry again if I think about it for too long, but I'm happy. For the first time in months now, I'm happy again.