Chapter 8

Johnathan's general store carried a large variety of goods, including a wide assortment of food, some clothing, housewares, and farm equipment. Canned food was stacked neatly on shelves against the walls noticing the vintage looking labels on everything.

There were a few women walking around and reading the labels of dry goods not yet noticing us. "She looks frightened, Mike. I hope you're treating her well." Johnathan smiled as they put his produce on display. "Maybe I should take her off your hands." He continued making me scoff to myself.

"Thank you, but I'd rather fend for myself in the woods." I replied, making them look at me taken aback. "My, my. Why didn't you tell me she has a mouth? And a pretty one at that." Johnathan continued.

"I have a list of things I need before we get going." Michael said, ignoring us. He gave Johnathan a list of things he needed for his home and some groceries.

I decided to leave the store needing some air. Taking in everything, struggling to wrap my mind around the lively town happening around me. Men rode their horses and wagons through town as women walked down the streets and into the shops and cafe.

A few men walking by stopped their conversations with their colleagues and friends to give me a smirk, tipping their hats. Feeling uneasy from the dark looks in their eyes.

Michael was completely different from all these men, holding himself with more respect, strength and confidence than any of the men I've seen so far.

Once Michael finished his business in the general store I began to walk down the steps towards his horses and wagon. Michael stopped me by grabbing my wrist gently.

"There's one place we need to stop first." Michael said as I pulled away from him confused. I followed him down the street as I stayed close by his side ignoring everyone's glances towards us.

"Do people not like you in this town?" I teased trying to hide my nervousness. "No, not really." He answered honestly. Looking up at him concerned as he walked up the steps to another store.

Opening the door for me as I noticed we were in some sort of a fabric store. Ready made dresses were hung as I reluctantly walked inside. "What are we doing here?" I asked him as he was clearly uncomfortable being here also but he hid it well.

"You need some clothes of your own. Frankie insisted that I bring you here." Michael answered. "I-I can't ask this of you. How can you afford this?" I asked hesitantly assuming how expensive new dresses were, especially ones as beautiful and intricate as these seemed to be.

All sorts of different fabrics were folded neatly behind the empty counter not yet seeing the owner. "I can afford it. And I happen to be very close with the owner." He answered with a smile before someone interrupted us.

"Charlotte, you came!" His sister beamed coming out from the other room. "Frankie," I breathed. "I... You own this place?" I was surprised.

"Yeah," She dragged out shrugging her shoulders. "I started this place once word got around town how good I was at needlework." Her dark blonde hair was held in a loose bun held by pins. Frankie wore a beautiful dark red dress that fitted her waist perfectly and hovered just above the floor.

"Come on! I have a few dresses for you to try on." She exclaimed excitedly coming closer to pull me further inside her store. "I'll be right outside." Michael said quickly at the opportunity to leave.

"Don't go far!" Frankie yelled out as he ignored her leaving the shop. "It's so cute to see him so nervous." She laughed amused, making me frown.

"Nervous? Clearly you see more in him than I do. It seems like he's just constantly angry and uncomfortable." I said to her as she walked around her store picking out dresses for me to try on.