7. Search

EMMA CLUNG TO THE
cat like it was oxygen, like the cat was her heart, beating. Beth had made some cat toys to entertain Simba. Currently, Simba was playing with a peice of paper that was crumbled into a ball as Beth, Emma, and Lori watched, laughs escaping her lips as the cat used its back feet to kick the ball away from its stomach.

"He's a very cute cat" Beth spoke with a small smile. "I wish I had a cat" She complained as she watched Simba run around on the rug in the living room.

"Why didn't you? Get a cat?" Emma asked her.

"I'm a farm girl. A cat wasn't really in the picture. Maybe a dog, but not a cat. But at least I got my horses" Emma said with a small smile at the girl.

"Dogs are too much to handle. You gotta clean them. Cats clean themselves. Cats are independent. Dogs are stupid" Emma argued as Beth gasped, turning to meet Emma's gaze as Lori stood up, going to check on Carl.

"How dare you? Dogs are protecters. Dogs are just another species of wolves. If you don't like dogs then your the stupid one" Beth argued.

Emma rolled her eyes. "Cats are way better than dogs" Emma said, longing out the 'y' in way as she shrugged. "And everyone knows it. Dogs have bad breath, get drool everywhere and expect you to clean them"

Beth crossed her arms. "A dog is a man's best friend. They protect people and there cute! What does a cat do? Pest control?"

"Yes. Pest control is important. I think I saw a cockroach in the bathroom today" Emma said as she made a disgusted face.

"Everyone has cockroaches. They just only come out at night. They don't hurt nobody" Beth explained.

"Cockroaches are disgusting"

Beth made a 'yeah, good point' look as she grabbed Simba and began giving him ear scratches as he curled into her lap, purring as his eyes closed.

"I will admit though, cats are cute" Beth spoke, smiling as the cats head lied on her lap.

"And I will admit that dogs are a little cute. Only the pugs though!" Emma told her.

"Pugs stink"

"But are cute"

"Yeah...alright"

***

The next morning, Emma walked out with the original group and began looking at the map to figure out where to look for Sophia next.

Although, Emma didn't want to really admit it, but she was starting to lose hope for Sophia. It had been about a week or two. There was no way to was alive. And that guilt tore her into shreds.

But, she still stood there with a smile, acting hopeful despite the little voice in the back of her head telling her Sophia was dead and it was all her fault.

"Alright, everyone's getting new search grids today. If she made It as far as the farmhouse Daryl found, she might have gone further east than we've been so far." Rick explained to the small group of people leaning on the trunk of the car.

"I'd like to help" Jimmy, one of the people that originally lived here. He wore jeans with a belt and a gray T-shirt. "I know the area pretty well and stuff"

"Hershel okay with this?"

"Yeah, he said I should ask you" Jimmy told the man.

"Alright then. Thanks" Rick thanked as Emma politely smiled at Jimmy. They needed extra hands, they needed someone who knew the grounds.