Six - Frank's Cardiman

Frank:

Gerard Way's house was the one place I least expected to be at 5 pm on a Friday night. Not that I was to be at any fantastic party or what have you, it's just I was expecting to be alone, in my room, with the curtains shut. And that's how I liked it.

I didn't particularly like this; this being an uncomfortable awkward silence. Not that I wasn't used to it, in fact everything I did seemed pretty awkward. It's just I wasn't used to sharing it with Gerard Way.

"So, when do your parents get home again...?"

"About two hours."

I simply nodded at Gerard's curt answer, not wanting to ask more of him when he was already concentrating so hard on a simple question. It was quite weird to see him like this, working hard for once and actually putting in some effort. It felt like an achievement on my behalf if I'm honest.

"No, this number goes here..."

"I know, Iero."

"Right."

I picked at my nails, getting lost in my own thoughts. Gerard wasn't actually that bad - sure, he could be a complete ass, but he was actually trying now. He wasn't really that bad to me before - he probably didn't even know of my existence - it's just funny how much nicer someone can be to you when you offer them something in return.

After a while of pointing, sighing and correcting his work, I scooted a little bit away and started to pack up my stuff. Daring to give him a small yet forced smile, I stood up and swung my bag over my shoulder. "I'll show myself out...?"

Gerard shook his head, "I'll come to the door, I guess." He stood up and walked out the room, leaving me to scramble after him. I hated being alone in other people's houses - it made me feel like such an intruder. Surrounded by photos containing memories I wasn't involved in, and possessions I didn't own.

Of course, luck had it that I was soon stumbling over my own feet and I landing messily into his back before quickly pushing myself away. I brushed myself off, walking the rest of the way with no more accidents but a light blush creeping up my neck.

We stood at the door awkwardly, Gerard fumbling with the lock. "You okay there, Way?"

"I'm fine, Iero."

I sighed, of course he couldn't go past being civil. It's not like I just put an afternoon of my time to help him.

Rolling my eyes, I gave him a small wave and stepped out the door, "Well, bye."

He started to close the door, "Bye." but halfway through, he seemed to change his mind and yanked it open again, giving me a somewhat menacing look: "Hey, Iero, you free tomorrow?"

"I... You want more tutoring? I thought you didn't like these little sessions."

"No, not tutoring, stupid." Rolling his eyes at my stunned expression, Gerard continued. "Right, I'll pick you up at six."

And with that he shut the door.

---/-/-/---

The next day, at approximately six pm, I found myself sat in Gerard Way's mom's car with sweating palms and a beating heart. Not that my heart wasn't always beating, it's just now I seemed to be more aware of it. I was aware of a lot more things whilst in his presence.

Like the way he spoke out the side of his mouth, or nodded along if you were speaking, or flicked his tongue over his bottom lip occasionally.

It couldn't be bad all of these things were about him; he was simply a new person in my life, I had to get used to his mannerisms. That's just human nature.

I was sat in the cramped car, slightly confused as to why I was there in the first place. Yet I decided not to question it - I guess I would find out soon enough.

I took in a deep breath as he started the car, playing with my sweater sleeves.

"Uh... So..." I looked up as Gerard began to talk with a wavery voice, "Nice... Cardigan?"

"I prefer the term cardiman."

Immediately cursing myself out in my head, I felt my face grow a little hot. He was finally being nice, and I was being a complete weirdo back. This is why I preferred virtual reaction and not face to face. At least over the Internet I could re-read my messages and cringe at myself in private.

Plus cardiman was bad, almost as bad as the term 'guyliner' if possible. Men could rock cardigans and eyeliner, there wasn't really any need to subject them to the same aggressive gendering as everything else.

My mental lecturing seemed to have proved very efficient for not hearing a word of Gerard's next sentence so I took to just staring at him blankly.

"Sorry, Iero, we can go now...?"

"Oh, uh yeah, sorry."

Nodding, he pulled away. I picked at my sleeves again, not daring to chance a look at him. Maybe it was in fear of finding him looking back.

After a few minutes I awkwardly cleared my throat. "So, where are we actually going...?"

"The mall."

I nodded before doing a sort of double take, "Why?"

Gerard flushed, a sight I don't think anyone was very well accustomed to; "Well, you see, it's where I take all my g-girls."

"Oh." My reply came out sounding squeaky and unsure as I blushed a bright shade of red. Where he took all 'his girls', huh?

So I was like a third wheel to make things less awkward between him and his date? Probably because he knew he wouldn't be able to make things more awkward than I could, thus being shown in a better light. I just wished I wouldn't have to watch him and his date make out, though I probably wouldn't have a say in the matter.

I lay back against the threadbare seat, barely noticing as he pulled up and got out the car. Due to my delay, he awkwardly pulled open my door for me, to which I just shyly nodded in thanks.

I cleared my throat as we walked in through the automatic doors, "So - uh, w-where's your girl...?"

He stared at me in what I later realized was a somewhat exasperated look. Never before had I seen Gerard Way become a stuttering mess. When he finally managed to get some words out, it felt as if the world had come crashing down around us. "Uhm, there is no girl, F-Frank. I... I was just wondering, you and me, y-y'know...? But it's totally okay if not, I just thought... J-just thought..."

But not in the bad way; no, it felt as if this is what it had been coming to. As if I had known, but just didn't want to admit it to myself. I was on a date (that part was surprise enough) with Gerard, of all people.

"Oh."

--

qotc: favorite ice cream flavour?

also, dyk wattpad is mean!!! it corrects things like 'favourite' and 'colour' to the other versions. why

damn american spelling. I'm english.