Chapter 29 - My love

Zuko and Kira finally unwound from their cocoon of blankets, the early morning light casting a soft glow through the fabric of the tent. They exchanged a final, lingering look before stepping out into the crisp air, ready to face the day.

Kira stretched her arms above her head, taking a deep breath of the fresh morning air, then she smiled at Zuko. "Go talk to Katara, I think it's important. I'll check on the others and see if they need help with breakfast."

Zuko nodded, his expression set with determination, and made his way towards where Katara was, finding her by a small stream, sitting on a rock as she brushed her long hair, the strands catching the sunlight. He hesitated for a moment, watching her, trying to find the right words.

"Katara?" he called softly, not wanting to startle her.

Brushing her hair back, Katara sighed, her frustration evident. "What do you want?" she asked, her voice tinged with impatience.

Zuko took a deep breath, gathering his resolve before speaking. "I know who killed your mother, and I'm going to help you find him," he stated firmly.

Katara's initial shock quickly morphed into anger, her fists clenching at her sides as she processed his words. The weight of his offer hung heavy in the air between them, a reminder of the pain and longing for justice that had fueled her for so long.

Katara's resolve hardened as she watched Zuko walk away, her thoughts racing with the possibilities of what they might uncover. She couldn't sit and wait, not with the chance to finally understand the full story of her mother's death. With a swift movement, she rose from the rock and called after Zuko, who was almost back at the camp.

"Zuko, wait!" she shouted, causing him to pause and turn back towards her. She walked quickly to catch up to him, her expression determined. "We need to do this now. We can't wait any longer."

Zuko nodded, understanding the urgency in her voice. "Alright, let's talk to Aang. We'll need Appa if we're going to track down the Southern Raiders."

Together, they made their way to where Aang was helping Toph with a new training setup. The young Avatar looked up as they approached, his expression curious. "Hey, Katara, Zuko, what's up?"

Katara took a deep breath, her gaze firm. "Aang, Zuko and I need to borrow Appa. We have something important we need to do."

Aang, slightly surprised, responds jokingly, "Why? Is it your turn to take a little field trip with Zuko?"

Katara confirms, "Yes, it is."

Aang's curiosity piqued, he asks, "Oh. What's going on?"

"We're going to find the man who took my mother from me," Katara declares, her voice laced with determination.

Zuko adds, "Sokka told me the story of what happened. I know who did it and I know how to find him."

Aang, concerned, questions their motives, "Um ... and what exactly do you think this will accomplish?"

Katara, frustrated, shakes her head, "Ugh, I knew you wouldn't understand." She starts to walk away, but Aang stops her.

"Wait! Stop! I do understand," Aang insists. "You're feeling unbelievable pain and rage. How do you think I felt about the sandbenders when they stole Appa? How do you think I felt about the Fire Nation when I found out what happened to my people?"

Zuko interjects, "She needs this, Aang. This is about getting closure and justice."

Aang, remaining steadfast, counters, "I don't think so. I think it's about getting revenge."