Chapter 30 - Zukos Birthday

As the sun began to set, casting a warm glow over Ember Island, the girls of Team Avatar huddled together, plotting a surprise that was close to their hearts. Kira, especially excited, took the lead in organizing the plans for Zuko's birthday celebration.

"Okay, so tomorrow is Zuko’s birthday, and I think we should make it really special for him," Kira began, her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm. "He's done so much for all of us, and I want this to be a day where he feels appreciated and loved."

Katara, inspired by Kira's affection, nodded in agreement. "I love that idea. What if we start with a breakfast on the beach? We could have all his favorite foods ready when he wakes up."

Suki, always the planner, chimed in, "That sounds perfect! And for the rest of the day, we can have different activities, like a small bending tournament or maybe even a treasure hunt around the island."

Toph, leaning back on her hands, added, "And for gifts, I was thinking of shaping some metal into a new crown for him—like a fun version, you know, since he’s going to be Fire Lord and all. Something he can laugh about."

Kira clapped her hands together, thrilled with the ideas. "And I’ll prepare a special herbal tea blend just for him. It’ll be refreshing and something to remind him of the times we’ve shared learning about plants and healing."

Suki suggested, "We’ll need a distraction, though. We can't set all this up without him noticing. Maybe one of us can take him on a little errand or a walk?"

Kira volunteered immediately, "I’ll do it. I can probably keep him busy the longest. We’ll go for a walk along the coast; he loves that. It’ll give you all enough time to get everything ready."

Katara, smiling at Kira's dedication, added, "And I'll write him a letter, something personal to show how much he's meant to all of us. Maybe we can all do something like that? Put them in a jar so he can read them whenever he needs a reminder of this family."

The group agreed enthusiastically, each excited to contribute to a day filled with love and laughter for Zuko. They spent the rest of the evening finalizing their plans, ensuring that everything would be perfect for the surprise. Their shared determination to make Zuko’s birthday memorable was a testament to the deep bonds they had formed, bonds that had transformed a group of young warriors into a close-knit family.

As dawn broke over Ember Island, Kira slipped out of bed, leaving a still-sleeping Zuko. She tiptoed out to join the others who were already buzzing with excitement, preparing for the day's surprise. After confirming that everything was on track, Kira returned to rouse Zuko with a gentle kiss.

"Happy birthday, sleepyhead," she whispered, her smile wide as Zuko blinked the sleep from his eyes.

"Is it today?" Zuko mumbled, his voice husky with sleep. He sat up, stretching, his eyes softening as he took in Kira's excited face.

"It is," Kira confirmed, pulling him out of bed. "And I've planned a special morning walk for us. Just you and me."

As they strolled along the coastline, the early morning sun casting golden hues across the beach, Kira kept Zuko engaged with playful banter. She pointed out various plants along their path, feigning seriousness about their absurd, made-up uses.

"And this one," Kira said, gesturing to a particularly vibrant flower, "is crucial for improving one’s firebending. Makes your flames smell like lavender."

Zuko laughed, playing along. "Really? I might need to add that to my training routine. Could use some scented fire."

Their laughter filled the air, blending with the rhythmic sound of the waves. Kira occasionally nudged him teasingly or playfully dodged his attempts to wrap an arm around her waist, keeping the mood light and joyful.