Chapter 34 - Trust issues

After a long day filled with preparations for the herbalist school opening, shopping for garden plants, and her emotionally charged visit to Azula, Kira returned to the palace feeling utterly exhausted. The palace guard who accompanied her noted her fatigue and gave her a sympathetic nod as they walked through the grand entrance.

As they entered, Zuko was waiting, dressed in his finest clothes, his hair neatly tied in a top knot adorned with the Fire Lord's traditional hairpin. His face lit up when he saw her, but his smile faltered a bit at the sight of her tired expression.

"Kira, I've missed you today," Zuko greeted her warmly. "I was hoping we could have another one of our 1000 promised dates tonight. I’ve planned something special."

Kira mustered a weary smile, her energy nearly spent. "Zuko, that sounds lovely, but I'm just so tired today. I've been on my feet non-stop, and all I can think about is a hot bath and getting some sleep."

Zuko's face fell slightly, his disappointment evident. He had clearly gone to great lengths to prepare for their evening. Seeing his crestfallen expression, Kira felt a pang of guilt. "Okay, let’s have a quick date. But let me take a quick bath and change first," she conceded, not wanting to let him down completely.

"Of course, take your time. I’ll wait for you in the garden," Zuko said, trying to mask his disappointment with a supportive smile.

Kira hurried to her quarters where the maids immediately flocked to her, eager to assist with her bath, dress, and hairstyle. "No, thank you, everyone. I need to be quick today," she insisted, politely dismissing their pampering attempts. Kira opted for simplicity, letting her hair remain damp and pulling on a comfortable dress without much fuss. Oblivious to the significance of what Zuko might have planned, she was focused only on the promise of a brief, relaxing end to her day.

Meanwhile, Zuko quickly adjusted his plans. The elaborate date he had organized at the dragonbone catacombs to propose—a setting filled with historical romance and significance—was clearly not meant for tonight. With a heavy heart, he instructed the maids to instead prepare a simple but romantic supper in the garden, a setting that would be less demanding for Kira.

As the garden was swiftly transformed with soft lights and a small table set for two, Zuko waited, rehearsing in his mind how to make the evening special despite the change of plans. The proposal would have to wait, but he could still create a memorable evening for Kira, one that respected her need for rest.

When Kira arrived in the garden, she was touched by the effort Zuko had put into rearranging the evening to suit her tired state. The garden was beautifully lit with gentle lanterns, and a cozy table was set with a light supper. Seeing all this, she realized the depth of Zuko’s consideration and felt an overwhelming affection for him.

"Zuko, this is perfect. Thank you for understanding," she said, taking her seat across from him.

"Anything for you," Zuko replied, his eyes softening. "Let's just relax and enjoy the evening. No pressures, no grand gestures—just us."

As they settled into the tranquility of the garden, Kira's demeanor shifted from exhaustion to bubbling excitement as she began recounting her day to Zuko. Her energy seemed to recharge with each detail she shared, her hands animatedly gesturing as she spoke about her preparations for the school and the various herbs she had planted.

"The school is really coming together, Zuko! I can't tell you how fulfilling it is to see everything taking shape. The maids are even getting into it, asking questions about the herbs," Kira said, her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm. "And today, I went to see Azula."

Zuko's expression shifted slightly at the mention of his sister, his brow furrowing with a mix of concern and caution. "Azula? What about her?"

Kira leaned closer, her voice lowering as if sharing a significant secret. "I think she might be the key to so many things, Zuko. Your father locked away all those herbalists, and now I can't help but wonder why. There’s more to it, I’m sure. Azula knows things; we just need to find a way to reach her."