Chapter 38 - Mother

As the lightning crackles menacingly from Azula's fingertips, aimed directly at Zuko with lethal intent, the air thickens with tension. But Zuko stands his ground, his eyes locked on his sister's, a mix of resolve and sorrow in his gaze.

As the bright bolt of electricity surges towards him, Zuko extends his arm in one fluid, practiced motion. His fingers meet the searing bolt, and with a deep breath, he begins the dance of redirection he had learned from his Uncle Iroh. The lightning enters his body, coursing through him with a fierce energy that Zuko channels with intense concentration. He guides it through the pathways of energy across his torso, feeling the raw power threatening to overwhelm him.

With a grunt of effort, Zuko raises his other arm, pointing towards the sky. A second crash of thunder rends the air as he releases the lightning, directing it harmlessly into the atmosphere. Steam rises from his shoulders and his hair stands on end, but his stance remains firm.

Azula, momentarily stunned by her brother's skill, regains her composure and prepares another attack, but Zuko's voice cuts through the tension.

"Did you forget, Azula? I know how to deal with your lightning."

Sokka, who had been watching the confrontation with wide eyes, steps back, his expression a mix of awe and fear. "Whoa. I think I might be scared of you again."

Zuko doesn't take his eyes off Azula, his voice steady but filled with emotion. "Misu and Rafa have nothing to do with our mother! How could you even think--"

But Azula, undeterred and spiraling further into her delusions, snaps back, her voice laced with madness. "But that's exactly what she wants you to believe! Zuzu, how could you be so naive?!"

Seeing the distress in his sister's eyes, Zuko’s expression softens, realizing the depth of her turmoil. "You're right. I have been naive," he admits. Then, turning decisively to Katara and Sokka, he gives a sharp nod. "Take her down."

Katara doesn’t hesitate, pulling water from her pouch, while Sokka reaches for his boomerang. "Gladly!" Katara says as she starts to manipulate the water into icy shackles.

Sokka, always ready for action, adds, "It's about time!"

Their actions are briefly interrupted by Misu’s plea, "No, don't do this! The Avatar is trying to bring the spirit here! You mustn't cause such a disturbance!"

As Sokka’s boomerang flies towards Azula and Katara freezes one of Azula's feet to the ground, the scene is abruptly cut short by Aang's voice. "She's right. Stop."

Everyone pauses, turning as Aang stands, having regained his composure. "Aang, you're back!" Katara exclaims, relief flooding her voice.

Kira, relieved to see the familiar face amidst the chaos, adds, "Whew! It's just you, Aang! This forest is so creepy, I half-expected another creepy-face!"

Aang points casually towards the pool. "You mean like those?" he jests, attempting to lighten the mood despite the tension.

Sokka, always on edge, reacts with his typical exaggeration. "Gah!"

Just then, the surface of the pool is broken by an eerie sight. Several bluish masks bob to the surface, their eyes facing the sky. More of them appear as Aang continues, "Listen to Misu, everybody! No more fighting! We're about to have a visitor."

The masks become more crowded, cramped in the limited space of the pool, and suddenly, the water erupts in a massive upwelling. The Mother of Faces emerges, her masks floating around her tall, slender body as she declares her presence and her purpose in a voice that resonates through the valley.