Back off now, your piece of sh*t

Heartbeat chapter 46- Back off now, your piece of sh*t!

TW: Mentions of sexual abuse along the chapter.

Joe's POV:
I sleep a good five hours before waking up and going back to the hospital.

Tonight the five of us ex-interns are getting the ER for ourselves. They are doing It with each first year resident group so we can train the interns a little. Since we have 2 interns each to train for the intern test and we have no clue how to do it, the chief is doing it starting today.

I get there and put on my scrubs and as I'm about to leave I see Taylor.

– Hey, love, good evening!– I peck her lips and she smiles at me, hugging my neck.

– Hi. How are you feeling, babe?

– We have to talk later, Tay, but I must say I'm thinking about doing therapy. Thanks for opening my eyes.

She happily nods.

– I'm proud of you.

– Thanks, it's not going to be easy but it's necessary. Hey, how did my interns deal with my patient?

– They are a little confused but they did check out the labs and wrote it down on the file. I just went to check on him. His vitals are stable and the lactate is normal, no risk of shock or infection.

– I'm going to check on him right now and meet everyone in the ER in five minutes, okay?

– Okay, Dr Thompson.– She chuckles and peck my lips again before entering the bathroom for a quick shower.

Another long night was about to begin.

[...]

After checking on my patient, who was thankfully alone and thanked me for saving his life, I headed to the ER, relieved that I still get to practice medicine after screwing up the things and that my patient is going to survive.

He probably will be out of cardíac ICU tomorrow afternoon, but he still has a long recovery and a long few weeks on normal post op room because of the leg, which still is in risk of amputation.

I'm no longer his resident now, but I’ll never forget the patient because I learned my lesson with this case and grew because of it. Time to prove the Chief and my interns I'm a good resident.

Blake’s POV

– Guys, you two wait here, okay? I'm going to talk to the other residents in charge of the ER so we can divide the patients. The shift starts in 10 minutes and lasts 12 hours.

– Okay, Dr Shelton.– They say and I give them a polite smile and go find Joe, Taylor and Selena at the balcony. Jack probably is arriving soon.

– Hey, how do you guys want to do? Who goes to the first cases and all? – Joe asks us.

– Why we don't do girls first?– Tay suggests.

– Great idea. Who wants to go first?– Selena raises her eyebrows.

Not me!– Taylor shakes her head at the same time I answer fastly:

– Me!– I say, and Selena and Taylor laugh.

– Okay, Selena is number 2 and I will be the number 3. Joe, you and Jack decide when he arrives.

– Okay honey, he’s there.– Joe points and I see Jack coming, seeming worried.

– Hey guys, sorry I'm late. I'm going to run to put on my scrubs. Did you decide the order?