But I Don't Want to go to School

"Seriously Dean? You're freaking pissed at me because I decided to choose the same life you did?" Karlie slammed the Impala door shut and crossed her arms at the oldest Winchester.

"Yes, I am. Karls, have you not seen how much this life sucks and how horrible it is?"

"What about how exciting and not absolutely boring? I can't take anymore school, Dean! I'm not going to college." She shouted back at him.

"Like hell you aren't!" Dean retorted. "You're going to go to college if I have to sit there and make you take your tests and do your assignments!"

"Then why don't you be the one to go if you want it so bad? Why don't you take the tests and do the assignments!" She screamed while walking up to Bobby's front door and slamming it shut behind her.

Her words made Dean stop in his tracks. He had always wanted to know what it would be like to be normal. To go to college and get a 9 to 5 job. But he couldn't. He didn't get that option in life but she would have it even if it killed him to give it to her.

"What the hell did you do to her, boy?" Bobby's voice brought him out of his thoughts.

"I'm trying to get her to go to college." He said walking up to the door.

"As much as we both want her to, we can't fill out the applications for her. She's gotta be the one to do that." Bobby advised.

"Don't think I haven't done it for her." Dean said sneaking in the door. He heard Karlie throwing things around in the room she had when their dads dropped them off with Bobby. His surrogate father looked at him and Dean nodded.

"I'll go talk to her." He rolled his eyes and walked up the stairs. Once he got to the top and opened her door, he saw her clothes thrown everywhere and her suitcase out on her bed as she threw things into it.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Dean asked, stepping over her things.

"I'm running away." She snapped back without looking at him. Dean chuckled.

"And you think that we couldn't find you easily?" He rhetorically asked.

"Well you guys obviously don't want me if I don't go to college so I may as well just get out of your hair now."

"Don't be like that, Karls. You know that isn't true." He spoke softly, sitting on her bed.

"I can't do it. I can't go to college." She whispered.

"And why not?" She glanced up at him with confusion on his face.

"Because I can't let her down." She spoke to the floor and a light went on in Dean's mind.

"She would have loved to have known how smart you are and have wanted you to be something else other than a hunter." He slowly stood up.

"No, Dean. She only wanted me to be a hunter. That's it. Do you really think that my dad is the hunter in my family? No. He's actually really bad at it. If it wasn't for your dad then he would be dead." A tear started to roll down her cheek.

"Your mother would have wanted you to be happy. That's it." Dean pulled Karlie into a hug. "You are allowed to do whatever you want. Be whatever you want. She would have loved you no matter what."

"Promise?" She sniffled into his chest.

"I promise."

Dean's mind snapped back to the road that he was speeding down. He and Sam had just finished a case in a small town in Missouri, an easy salt and burn. It had been Sam's idea to head home that night so that he could look for another way to get the Mark off of Dean's arm.

"I think we need to look into other options like magic and hoodoo to see if they can get rid of the Mark." Sam said as Dean kept staring out the window.

"Dean? Dean!" Sam shouted to get his attention as Dean's head snapped to face him.

"What?"

"Are you even listening to me?

"Yeah, uh, hoodoo, whatever..." Dean mumbled.

"This is serious Dean. We need to find something that can help you."

"You don't think I know that? You don't think I know how serious this is? Sam, I live it every single day as you sit and watch. I know what it does. I feel what it does to me. Don't you tell me that I need to know how serious this is." His voice became low and cold. There was a slight pause.

"Dean, can you slow down?" Sam asked looking at the speed gage which was on its way to hitting 100 mph.  Dean let his foot off the gas.

"Do you ever wonder what it would be like if we never had to be hunters? I never would have gotten this thing that's for sure. Maybe have gotten a degree and a really job? Mom would be here." His train of thought trained away.

"I'm sorry, Dean, but I can't. This is all I've known." Sam said with his brown furrowed.

"Yeah, no use in imagining if it could never happen." Dean starred out the windshield. Sam looked down in his lap.

"Hey, it never hurts to dream." He tried to comfort his big brother.

Silence fell in the Impala for the rest of the ride home. Dean starred out the window and Sam kept an eye on his brother. He was worried. Very worried. He knew how depressed Dean had become yet there was nothing he could do about it. Usually beer and women did the trick to cheer him up but lately he could tell that nothing work.

They pulled up to the bunker shortly after 11:30 pm. Sam got out of the car and walked towards the front door, then turned to find Dean still behind the wheel.

"What are you doing?" He called to him.

"I'm going out." He spoke back blankly. All Sam could do was nod and walk into their home. He knew there was no changing his brother's mind at this point. Once the door to the bunker had shut and Dean knew that Sam wasn't going to come out and try to convince him to come inside, he pulled out his phone. His finger hovered over her name for a second before he typed out a short message and hit send.

Karlie was changing into her dress to go out with her coworkers when her phone went off. She quickly checked her makeup in the mirror before she opened the message she had received. She smiled slightly as she read the words "I need to see you."