Brother's Keeper

Her phone rang as his name flashed on the screen. She took her hands off the wheel to answer it.

"I bet you're only a few hours out from the university huh?" She smiles into her phone.

"Karlie, whatever you do, do not do what you're thinking about. Let Sam and I help you." Dean pleaded with her.

"You know what, Dean, I think I'm going to. You know how easy it would be to walk up those stairs, walk into his office and snap that pretty little neck of his. Do you know how incredible that would be? To give in to the Mark? To finally be free?" She closes her eyes and smiles.

"Karlie, please. This isn't you. Please don't do this." Dean begs, stepping harder on the gas.

"This is the new me Dean. The Karlie you knew was weak and pathetic. Now, I'm strong." She speaks firmly into the phone.

"The Karlie I knew was perfect!" Dean shocked himself as the words spilled out of his mouth. They didn't go unnoticed by Sam.

"You always were a softy when it came to me. I guess you could say I'm your weakness." She replies. "It'll only be a matter of time before I'm your downfall." She hangs up and drives.

"Son of a bitch!" Dean threw his phone down and slapped his hand down on the steering wheel. Sam looked at him sympathetically.

"Dean," He almost whispers.

"What?" His brother shouts back.

"It'll be ok. We'll get her in time."

"I don't know, Sammy. I don't think she wants us to save her." He replies and Sam chuckles lightly.

"You didn't want us to help you either, but we never gave up."

"Yeah, and she ended up with the Mark. God, why does everything bad happens to the ones I lo-" He stopped and tightened his jaw.

"The ones you love?" Sam asked and Dean didn't move. "Come on, Dean. It's not like I couldn't tell." He keeps pressing.

"Sam, please don't." Dean continues to look out the windshield.

"We'll get her Dean." He nods.

The cold steps felt good under Karlie's boots. The last time she was here, Dean saved her from her brother's perverted mind. Now, it was her turn to save herself. The Mark began to sting on her arm, making it clear what she needed to do.

The Mark made her feel strong when Dean would make her feel weak. With the Mark, she was able to take care of herself. It was only a matter of time before she gave into the Mark. She knew what that meant, but she honestly didn't care. Dean had taken all this away from her. He tried to make her normal when she was far from normal.

She began her journey up the stairs like she had before and walked through the old halls of the campus office building. She stood in front of her brother's door. In just a few short minutes it would all be over. The Mark would win and Karlie would be gone. But who would miss her? Her mother and father were gone, Bobby was gone, Sam never really took the time to get to know her. All she had left was Dean, which was more reason to give in.

She opened the door quietly and the room was silent. She could hear him typing away at him computer that faced away from the door, as did his chair.

It was almost all too perfect. His back was to her, it would be quick and painless. She wouldn't even have to see the look on his face. But wait, she wanted to see the look on his face. She wanted to see the life leave him and to feel the exact moment that the Mark would take over. This was it. She cleared her throat.

"Nathan." She spoke softly, waiting for his response.

"How can I help you?" He turned around with a wide smile before it dropped. "No, not you. You're not supposed to be here. He promised I'd never see you again." He stood up and got in a defensive position.

"Who told you that? Dean? Let's just say he doesn't control me like he used to anymore." She shot back, walking closer to him.

"You need to leave." Nathan's voice shook.

"That's not going to happen, see I need you." She replied and he looked at her questionably.

"Why do you need me?" He asked.

"You see, I got this thing on my arm," She began to roll up her sleeve. "And in order to use it properly, I need my brother." A wicked smile spreads across her face.

"That's the Mark of Cain." Nathan breathes out.

"Right, I almost forgot. You are a Mythology professor, you know exactly what this means for you." She stepped closer.

"How did you get that?" He asked, moving in the opposite direction as her.

"You can thank Dean for that one. He got it to kill the knight of hell, Abadon but then never wanted to give it up, until I was able to talk my way into him giving it to me."

"Why on earth would you want it?" He asked, staring at the Mark.

"The power. It's always been about the power that it holds. Now, nothing else matters to me but this Mark and the power behind it. And I will get my way." She explained.

"Even if it means killing me." He stated matter of factly.

"Especially because it means killing you. You remember what you did. So don't worry. I'll make it as painful as possible." She chuckled before corning him and pulling out her knife. "Now this will be fun."

"Karlie, No!" Dean shouted from the doorway as she raised the knife above her head. She turned to look.

"It's too late Dean. I've got him in my grasp and I'm not letting go now." She shouted back.

"Please no, baby don't do this," He pleaded, walking closer to her.

"There's no way to stop me Dean. This is going to happen. The Mark will win." She turned back to her brother. "He has to die." She said before she raised the knife and sent in deep into Nathan's chest.