11

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚𝐋 𝐎 𝐒 𝐄 𝐑 𝐒˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆

"pass the ball!!! oh my soul how dumb could he be?" lucy whined while fidgeting in her seat.

gradually the crowd grew in the newly redone gym once the word of basketball tryouts spread around the school and the two girls made sure to arrive earlier to cheer on their favourite players.

juliet watched on the edge of her plastic seat as lucas, ben and malik, along with other panting boys, began taking practice shots. sitting just a few rows below the girls was the coach and his advisors as they scouted and critiqued the talent layed out ahead of them.

the squeaking shoes against the shiny red, white and polished wood shot of the gym floor shot chills down juliet's spine as she caught lucas' eye.

stopping with the ball in his hands, his sweat dripping forehead and focused look melted away and offered the girl he asked to come support him, a smile of appreciation.

juliet smiled back, moving to lean back in her chair. lucy spared her friend a knowing glance but turned her head away as soon as juliet dared to glare at her.

"i need to go pee." lucy whispered after the whistle blew and the tryouts paused for a water break.

juliet nodded and pulled out her phone deciding that she would pretend to have something to do instead of feeling observed and out of place by herself.

with the newborn friendships, juliet has been finding herself wanting to nurture, she's taken on challenges like these. accepting lucas' invitation and participating in something related to the agonising school spirit and where there's a heavy presence of people her age.

"hey." a rather squeaky voice from a few rows above her rang the air.

turning her perspective and twisting her body juliet searched the half empty filled gym bleachers until she spotted a girl waving at her with an annoyed expression that sent pulses of confusion to juliet.

"yeah you." the girl whom the voice belonged to spoke in the middle of a group of girls.

she was tall and had golden tanned skin with long luscious hair. the epitomy of beautiful yet something earie and devious filled the air around her causing everything in her closest radius to suck in a tight breath.

"what's your name?" she asked.

juliet had already seen this girl walking the halls before and knew her reputation. the prettiest flower out of the inflorescence of them present in their school.

"juliet."

"oh." the girl looked around the gym and smiled before focusing her cat like eyes back onto her new subject. "are you lucas' girlfriend?"

taken a back juliet let out the stinging breath she had kept in all this time and furrowed her eyebrows. "what?"

the loud blow of a whistle echoed across the gym signalling the start of the next section of the tryouts. the noise brought juliet back to her senses and she sighed in relief when lucy sat back down next to her.

"took you long enough." she whispered.

"a girls gotta wee." she chuckled while elbowing her friend. "oh look they're starting!"

the next half of the tryouts happened to be a friendly game and the girls watched intently as they made two teams and started to play. fortunately enough, all three, lucas, malik and ben managed to get sorted into the same group and began to play their best.

the gym filled with a tense sensation as all the boys running and jumping around the court fought for a position on the school team.

juliet was never that interested in sports and couldn't quite understand the rules that took place or why everyone seemed to be so engrossed with it either but sitting there and cheering on her friends erased any second thought that creeped her skeptical mind.