Chapter 21 - Paths of Life

Hi everyone,

I want to start this next chapter by thanking you all for your incredible support and love. Your encouragement has meant everything to me. The last chapter was quite intense, and I want to extend a virtual hug to all of you, not just for the last chapter, but also for this new chapter.

Thank you for being here.

Warm regards,
April💕

****

Love guides us on various paths throughout life.

It reveals numerous possibilities,

connecting us with people, near and far.

And sometimes, it shows us

when it's time to let go.

Alec

Alec sprinted through the expansive corridors. His heart pounded wildly in his chest, and his breath raced. His footsteps echoed in the hallways as he skilfully manoeuvred past residents, who, in a hectic stream, sought their way to the lower levels, threatening to clog the corridors.

Repeatedly, concerned residents tried to stop him, searching for an answer. Alec couldn't provide them with the hoped-for reply and urged them, as he passed by, to follow the instructions of the announcement and quickly make their way to the safe rooms.

Finally, he reached the heart of the bunker. Everyone had already gathered: Luke, Izzy, Maia, all team captains, and others needed in such an emergency. They all wore serious expressions, and the tension in the Ops was palpable.

"What happened?" Alec asked, out of breath.

"We have multiple breaches in the fence," Luke explained with a grim expression.

"How can that be?" Alec asked. Just yesterday morning, he had inspected the protective fence with Jace.

"There were several explosions before the forsaken broke through," Luke explained.

Alec's eyes widened in horror.

"You mean...?" Alec began.

"Yes," Luke interrupted him before he could complete his question. "Someone intentionally damaged the fence."

"Fuck," Alec cursed.

"Yes, that accurately describes it," Luke replied with a serious expression, then turned to Maia. "How is the situation developing out there?"

"The fence was blown at ten points, and we have about fifty or sixty forsaken inside the inner area."

Luke crossed his arms in front of his chest, and Alec saw the worry growing in the commander's eyes. A crease formed on his forehead.

"Okay, all teams go out. We need to get the situation under control as quickly as possible. Seal the breaches, no matter what it takes. It just has to prevent more forsaken from coming into the city for now." Luke turned to the team captains.

"Murray, Adele, and Meliorn, your teams take care of the forsaken."

"Understood, Sir," the three captains replied. Luke turned to Alec.

"Alec, I need you here. Instruct your team and then return. Jace will lead your team outside and also deal with the forsaken."

Alec opened his mouth to protest, but the determined look on Luke's face made him swallow the words on the tip of his tongue. Luke placed a hand on Alec's shoulder as though he could sense his dissatisfaction.