○ Chapter 9: Look In The Mirror ○

Mirrors show a grinning face,
But only he can see the tormenter's gaze
Invisible pranks, a vengeful chase.

No POV.

River walked home with doubts and thoughts in his mind. He couldn't stop thinking about the fact that someone was probably pranking him, and they were really good at it, because he hadn't yet caught them.

Those small pranks like the one on the construction site recurred throughout the whole day, as he walked home like a vigilante. He kept a keen eye out for anyone, trying to find out who was behind this. But he couldn't even think how someone could hide this fast. Something sure didn't settle quite right with him, but he couldn't put a finger on it.

A lively laughter of a child rang in his ears.

River quickly glanced back, seeing no one on the small alleyway that he was on.

It was faint, almost like an echo, but that felt too crazy. There was no one other than him, and as far as he knew, no parent would let their child play anywhere nearby.

"I see you. Hehe." Another laugh rang in his ears, making him look frantically, gasping. His eyes darted everywhere, seeing nothing, but he kept hearing voices in his head.

"Who are you?" He asked, even though he knew he wouldn't get a response.

He was actually shocked when the voice actually responded. "A ghost. Boo!" The voice laughed as it replied playfully.

"Look, whoever you are, just leave me alone. I've had enough of this prank at school already. Don't follow me home." He said, hoping for another reply.

"What prank? I just want to have a little chat with you." The voice spoke, suddenly running past and messing up his hair. He touched the back of his head, turning around only to be met with nothing, again.

"Who are you?" River repeated his question.

"I'm a ghost, hehe."

"Just leave me alone." He said, shrugging his shoulders, slinging his bag again on his shoulder before walking again.

River finally passed the old alleyway, realising that he had taken a longer time to arrive home than usual. Upon opening the door, he was met with a smile from his aunt, who was busy doing the dishes along with his uncle.

"You're finally back! I've got something to tell you." His uncle told, his face lighting up as River entered.

Growing up without parents sure had been hard, but he was lucky he got such understanding relatives.

"Freshen up first, we'll talk about that later." His uncle told, as River walked up the stairs, and into his confined room.

It may not be the best, but it was a cosy place, and it always gave him a sense of peace.

River changed into more comfortable clothes, flopping down on his bed as he started reading messages his friends sent him.

A sudden push made him fall down from his bed, his face hitting the ground. A groan and a gasp left his mouth as she processed what just happened. Unfortunately, his ankle twisted at the impact.

"Ahgh!" He yelped in pain, trying to get up.

His eyes suddenly travelled to his bed, seeing absolutely nothing.

Out of the blue, another force pushed him, this time, his head hit the corner of his bed. River yelped again, his eyes almost watering at the pain. River shut his eyes close, hearing a broken note played on the guitar.