○ Chapter 10: Nobody Understands ○

Twin embers in the dark they gleam,

Only I see their silent beam,A secret fire, a waking dream.

No POV.

The previous encounter was implanted permanently on Ember's mind. She was so out of herself, she didn't even look where she went, often bumping into people at the school.

Her eyes stared outside, her head resting on her arm on the window of the car. She always hated cars, and opened the windows because they made her feel less sick.

The feeling of someone watching her was with her the whole day.

And maybe she was right.

The glowing pair of eyes never left her. It kept staring at her in every shadow. She would always close her eyes the second she saw it, but it vanished whenever she blinked.

An odd sensation was lingering.

She had a gut feeling that something was wrong, and she couldn't shake it off.

Her father called out her name softly, as Ember snapped out of her daze. The girl stared blankly, realising that she was zoning out too much today.

"Em, you okay?" Her father asked, as he walked out of the car. Ember picked up her bag and slung it to her shoulder, getting out of the car as well.

"I'm fine, just..."

---------------------------------------------------

Zane's

The raindrops were hitting the ground with an echo. Droplets trickled down my window as I kept it shut. I hate the rain anyway. It wasn't anything nice to be honest. I don't understand how someone could like rain. It's annoying. And it sounds like white noise.

I put my airpods back on, checking the time again.

Mom and dad were outside, as my sisters somehow convinced them to take them shopping. I'm not even gonna go, I know they'll start fighting there too, and that this whole thing is a setup for them to bond, even for a little while.

Too bad for us, they're not gonna change. We just gotta focus on ourselves, that's it. There's no hope in trying.

I missed school yesterday, because things got a little out of hand. To be honest, I don't even remember the time they were not fighting.

My airpods were back into my ear as I turned to look at my notebook. I've already got a lot of assignments piled up, and this quiet environment is what I need.

It feels nice to have some quiet, alone time.

I was thoroughly focused on my work, until I heard my phone ring.

That's strange. It's an unknown number. I'll just ignore it. Probably pranking me like last time.

The phone continued to ring. So I just put it on mute. Nobody's gonna call me now anyway.

It's really annoying now. My phone's been ringing for like 5 minutes. What's their deal? They probably have no future or maybe they just have too much free time.

*ring*

Huh, I thought I muted it. I did mute it. Is something wrong with this phone? I seriously cannot afford a new one now, please don't be broken.

The mute icon was turned off. Maybe I double clicked on accident. I just put mute on again, before blocking the number altogether. Should've done this sooner.