Untitled Part 34

Chapter Thirty-Four

I still had the White Beast and no idea where to go. I couldn't go to my folks' place; that much was clear. After hooking a left onto Foothill Road, it dawned on me that I was heading south without knowing where I was going. Then I realized what I was doing. What I needed. I needed my best friend. I needed that person to listen to me, empathize, get my mind off things. I needed Cannonball. More now than ever before I needed Cannonball.

It seemed our tie could never be broken, even after I'd been booted, and I knew that was exactly what I needed, where I needed to go. Being kicked out of the club was one thing. But we'd shared true kinship. Surely that would still be valued. He couldn't punt me to the curb. He may have been Lorenzo's son but he had a heart. The White Beast seemed to know it even before I did as it flew down the road making its way to Lorenzo's.

I began feeling better. I wished I had a beer to glug while traversing through traffic. It was as if everything were fine again. I'd lost St. Andy's, I'd lost my folks, even The Crew. But I still had Cannonball. All I had to do was explain, tell him what had been going on internally. He'd understand. He had to. We were best friends. That transcended labels and high school cliques. I recalled Cannon pouring the beer on me at the motel party, like slashing a thumb and becoming blood brothers, like Sal and Dean in On the Road. Using beer, he'd baptized me into the Holy Trinity: Cannon, D.D., Dog.

In Dog we trust. I remembered the guys praising me on the steps of Ventura Theatre that magical night.

I thought about Sarah. The thought of her, the image, the anticipation filling me with joy, my mouth unable to defy a great big grin. Window open, the crisp mountain air sliced across my face, whipping me. I felt her fingernail under my chin, her saying, "You and me, babe." The memory of her snuggling up to me after the show. Our sacred, secret plan to run away.

It could still happen.

I knew I would get Sarah back. She was upset, angry at me for something I hadn't done. And I couldn't blame her. She'd been lied to. Like I'd been. I would have to sit her down and explain, win back her affection. I was confident that things would turn around. It would all be back to normal, me and Sarah, together, running away. The need to leave town was more pronounced right now than it ever had been before.

All I needed was to see Cannon one last time, tell him I understood, that I wasn't mad, that I'd finally broken through to the other psychic side. Yes, he'd lied to me. Yes, he'd manipulated me, used me. Yes, he'd tricked me and booted me from the gang. But I still cared. I still gave a crap. He was still my friend. I just wanted to see his face, say the words I needed to say. Thank him for bringing me in, taking a chance on me, and teaching me everything. Even though I'd lost it all, I'd gained Sarah. We had a life ahead of us.

I'd get Sarah and we'd be off. Right now. There was no more reason to wait. If I showed up at her place, ready to go, she'd come with me. She'd have to. We had my uncle Greg. We had money. We had a car. We had each other.

Nothing could stop us.

Around the corner from Lorenzo's, I parked the car and sat, listening to my own breath over the pounding of my heart. I was freer than ever. I had taken our creed to a new level, a new reality. I was 16 and the only ties I had were those of my choosing, my choosing.

When I got to the driveway I stopped. Somehow it all seemed a bit foreign. I couldn't quite place the odd sensation. Ignoring it, I pushed on, walking to the door, and was about to knock when I decided that maybe I'd surprise him. Yeah, I thought, I'm gonna surprise the bastard.