Chapter Sixty Nine

LXIX.                                          Heartbreak Weather

      Thalia was sitting in the living room when Odessa and Christian came into the house

      Thalia was sitting in the living room when Odessa and Christian came into the house. Her daughter had a bright expression and her smile stretched from ear to ear. "Mom, mom, mom, oh my god!" She squealed and ran to her. "You're never going to believe it."

"What, what, what? How did the fight go?" Thalia immediately questioned.

Odessa sat beside her on the couch. "I won my fight!"

Her eyes widened. "You did?"

"I did!"

"She did." Christin laughed, also smiling widely.

"That's incredibly honey!" The mother praised and immediately hugged her daughter, feeling her excited jitters. "Wait, does that mean you guys qualified for the Sekai Taikai?"

"We did. . .and Cobra Kai."

Thalia furrowed her brows and pulled away. "Cobra Kai?" She looked at Christian.

"They said we both had great qualities and thought having both teams would be the best option." He explained.

She scoffed. "Jesus, it can never be just one or the other."

Odessa was still smiling. "At this point, I really don't care. I won!" She stood from the couch. "I gotta get ready for Miguel's party." She announced and ran around the table. She passed by her dad and flashed him a smile, making him smile back.

Thalia waited until she was completely out of sight and ear shot. As much as she wanted to be excited, she couldn't be, because her mind was full of something else. She looked at Christian and he smiled at her. Thalia stood from the couch and started going to the kitchen. "I bet you're really proud." She stated.

"Of course I am." He laughed and followed her. "You should've seen her, Tal. She was incredible." He praised with a proud smile. "I mean, it was like going back in time, y'know?"

Christian watched her grab a water from the fridge. She smiled tightly. "Yeah, I bet." She responded and looked away from him.

He furrowed his brows, confused on her reaction. "I thought you'd be more happy."

"I am, Christian. Or I really wanna be."

Thalia walked by him and slid open the back door. He stood there still confused, and she stood on the back porch staring at the sky, having yet to drink the water she grabbed. Christian followed her out and slid the door closed. "Hey, what's wrong?" He gently asked.

Thalia shook her head and glanced down at the bottle of water, her hands seemingly tightening around it. "Why are you, Chris?"

Christian slipped out a scoffed laugh. "You and Dess really love asking me that."