fourteen

XIV. A Small Crash

JAPAN: September 2023

TWITTER:

@fan11: already??

@fan11: already??

@fan166: no! It's Logan and Zhou D:

@fan10: what a start for this grand prix

Qualifying: It was like putting salt on a wound. The sound of Crofty's voice, the sight of the cars crashing filled the screen, it was like the fear overcame. Her chest tightened and she felt dizzy.

Carmen was quick to make her sit, she didn't want to watch anymore, she wanted to go back to the hotel and hide under the blankets.

The replay of the crash played, it was a Williams and an Alpha Romeo. Eliza didn't know which drivers but just the sight of a Williams cars bouncing into the air knocked the air out of her.

She didn't realize that it was over. Qualifying had finished and George was back in the garage. She didn't even remember when she stood up and ran to the Williams garage.

She didn't care that she was wearing her team wear, she didn't care that there were cameras around, she just had to see if he was okay.

When she reached the Williams garage, the mechanics were about to stop her but Logan (who was brought back early in because of the crash), stopped them. "Let her through! She's here for Alex."

With that, she was given access to get inside the garage. She didn't know where she was going but she had one goal in mind; find Alex.

And find Alex she did. The moment he was in view, she couldn't stop herself, she rushed to him with her heart hammering in her chest. When she finally reached him, he was facing away from her.

"Alex..."

His body froze but quickly recovered, he turned in complete shock, "Liz." He replied. He was about to ask what was wrong and why she was there when it immediately hit him.

"I'm okay-" Suddenly, her arms are around him. She hugged him so tight Alex felt like he could melt in her arms. "I got so scared." She admitted.

Alex sighed and hugged her back, hiding his face on her shoulder like how he used to. "I'm fine..." he trailed and hugged her tightly.

Eliza sighed, "I know. I just had to see you." She whispered and pulled away slightly. She stared into his eyes, he tilted his head and offered her a small smile, "I'll still be driving tomorrow." He reminded her.

She hummed and nodded, "I know. I'll be watching..." she said finally pulling her arms away from him. A cold and empty feeling filling their hearts now that they can't feel each other's warmth anymore.

They looked at each other, worry in her eyes and reassurance in his. It was just like before, when Alex started to get serious with her profession.

The memory made her sigh, she shook her head, "I have to go back to Mercedes." She muttered. He nodded, "Then I'll go see you?" he asked hopefully.

Despite the nagging voice in her head, she smiled and nodded. "Just...be safe please Alex."

"Anything you wish for Liza."

TWITTER:

@princessgeorge: you look so happy @alobono

      @LoganSargeant: you would be too if someone hugged you liked that, and I'm the one who crashed

      @alobono: give me your phone, I'll make you a freaking private

      @LoganSargeant: I'm quite satisfied with the chaos I am making

      @pastry: yes well we aren't having the best time

After making sure George was all good and answering his very curious questions, Eliza found herself walking out of the paddock for the day.

It was a heavy day for her heart and she just wanted to cuddle up in bed. But it seems like the world had other plans. Like fate had planned, her rented car was parked right next to Alex's car.

The two stopped when they realized that they were going towards the same directions. He smiled at her and waved, copying his actions, she did the same.

"You did great." She said as she unlocked her car. Alex following, he smiled wider at her, "I had to impress you." He joked.

He didn't know how she will take jokes but when she chuckled and shook her head, he knew he was on the right track.

"You don't have to." She started and smiling at her, "You being safe is enough." She muttered. Her voice was low but loud enough to be heard by Alex.

His heart raced and he felt his cheeks grow red and warm, "Don't worry too much okay?" he asked. Despite blushing, Alex didn't want her to worry that much. He knew how much she stressed about things.

"You know I always do..."

Alex thought about it for a minute, until an idea popped in his head, "Let's get your mind off it then."