65. The Deal

Shruthi's POV

I sank back into my seat, my appetite vanishing as I stared blankly at my untouched plate

I sank back into my seat, my appetite vanishing as I stared blankly at my untouched plate. Moments later, Arjun's somber voice pierced the heavy silence. "I'm leaving for work. I'm sorry for lashing out on you just now, Angel," he whispered, his kiss on my cheek brief before he disappeared, leaving me feeling utterly helpless, unsure of how to ease his pain. He left before I can reply to him.

As I sat there lost in thought, my Mama's voice shattered the quiet once again. "Do you really think he loves you?" he challenged, his tone dripping with skepticism.

My head snapped up, my eyes flashing with defiance. "Of course he does," I shot back, there might be a lot of things that I was unsure of. But Arjun's love was the one thing I was confident about.

A derisive laugh escaped my father-in-law's lips, his gaze shifting to Lea. "Well, if that's the case, then Lea, it's time for you to leave for college," he commanded, his tone brooking no argument.

Lea hesitated, casting a fleeting glance my way.

"Sheila I said leave". Her eyes widened slightly as she heard him say her full name
Her father's stern command spurred her into action.

With a heavy sigh, she rose from her seat, her expression conflicted as she gathered her belongings, preparing to depart.

I watched in silence as Lea left the room, a sense of unease settling over me in her absence. Alone with my parents-in-law, I couldn't shake the discomfort that hung in the air, my mind swirling with unanswered questions and unresolved tensions.

I felt a knot tighten in my stomach as I stared incredulously at my father-in-law. "Why did you ask that?" I demanded, my voice tinged with disbelief.

"Because he doesn't love you," he stated matter-of-factly, his words landing like a punch to the gut.

A gasp escaped my Athai's lips, her eyes widening in shock as she turned to her husband. "What are you saying nga?" she exclaimed.

I echoed her sentiments, my mind reeling with confusion. "What do you mean he doesn't love me?" I pressed, my voice trembling slightly.

"I'm his father. I taught him everything he knows," my father-in-law replied, his tone laced with a hint of superiority.

I shook my head, struggling to comprehend his words. "What do you mean?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Do you think he just agreed to marry you when your brother asked him?" he challenged, his gaze piercing.

I opened my mouth to defend Arjun, but the words caught in my throat as doubt crept in. Had Arjun ever truly opened up about our marriage? I recalled the times I had tried to broach the subject, only to be met with deflection or distraction.

My silence spoke volumes, and my Mama seized the opportunity to drive his point home. "You see, you can't even answer that," he remarked, his tone smug with certainty. "You know he didn't just marry you for nothing."