Chapter 1

Guys, this is going to be a slow-burn fiction. Also, Virat is going to be very docile, scared, and weak initially because of his past; because he has always lived in fear. Don't judge him too harshly, please.

As the first rays of dawn painted the sky in hues of soft pink and orange, the city of Delhi stirred awake with a gentle hum. The morning breeze carried the scent of jasmine and freshly brewed chai, mingling with the distant calls of street vendors setting up their stalls. 

As the city awakened, the streets gradually filled with people, each with their own purpose and destination. Amongst the chaos of honking horns and bustling crowds, there was a certain charm in the rhythm of Delhi's morning routine—a harmonious blend of tradition and modernity that set the tone for the day ahead.

In the calm of a Delhi morning, a man stood alone in his kitchen, immersed in the rhythm of washing dishes. Amidst the city's bustling energy, his solitary chore became a tranquil moment of reflection, a brief respite before the day unfolded. He'd woken up at 5 am, just so he could have a few hours to himself before anyone woke up, as he had done for so many years.

He had learned to wake up early at quite an early age. He'd understood it the hard way that if he did that and did most of his assigned chores before the others woke up, he'd lead an easier day ahead, comparatively. He was still completely focused on his work that he did not notice the clock striking 6 AM, or a bell ringing or a shriek from behind him. He did not notice any of these things. And suddenly, a shoe came with full force and hit the back of his head, hard.

"Are behere ki aulaad! Kaan bech khaaye tune? Sunai nahi deta ghanti baje jaa rhi hai tabse?!" A scream was heard simultaneously as the man felt the shoe hit him. He sighed. Good start to his day, he thought and turned around to face the screaming lady nervously.

"Sorry, maa. Mai vo kaam mei thoda busy--"

"Haan ab tu yhi jata ki sara ghar ka kaam tujhpe hai, nalayak ko pata nahi kis muhurat mei hum ghar le aaye," The woman cut off the boy. "Ab mera muh hi ghurega ya kuch kaam kar lega? Darwaze pe koi khada hai par nawab zaade ko asar hi nahi!"

"Ha-haan maa. Mai de-dek-kh rha hun," the boy replied quickly and rushed towards the door, all the while being cursed by his 'mother'.

Once he had received the milk at the door, he rushed towards the kitchen again to prepare food. He had followed his routine then how was he so late? His mother would surely roast and eat him alive if he didn't prepare a meal for her fast.

Once he had prepared and served the food, he stood beside the dining table, where his mother sat, head bowed and fingers twitched nervously. After every meal, he was anxious if his mother would like it or not. If she did, it'd benefit him and if she did not, he could be made to face hell. Thus, he waited for her verdict.

"Kal se, tum college nahi jaaoge," His mother, Manika announced suddenly. 

And what? Virat's eyes widened. He opened his mouth to protest and shut it just as quickly. 

'Was the food that bad that Manika had reached this conclusion? Was he getting this as his punishment foe a mere bad food?' he wondered silently.

"Virat!" Manika yelled, Virat jumped in fright. "Sunai diya tumhe?!"

"J-ji maa," Virat replied very softly. 

"Puchoge nahi kyu?" Manika questioned with evillness lacing her tone.

"Kyu, maa?" 

"Tumhare liye ladke wale aayenge kalse. Maine bohot saare dekhe hain, and you will meet them one by one. I'm not asking, I'm telling you, you know the drill, anyway. Do not embarrass me in front of them Virat or you'll see the worst side of me," Manika threatened and got up having finished her food. She left the dining room, leaving Virat still standing beside her abandoned chair, head down, tears ready to fall and heart ready to burst any moment. His last happiness had just been snatched away. His knees gave up and he fell on the floor, tears falling steadily now. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Beep-beep. Beep-Beep.

Rohit groaned. He shut off his alarm swiftly and turned to face the window. Through the window, he saw a lone mango tree, all its fruits long gone, its leaves burning to ashes under the sun. He saw a bluish-pink sky. Wasn't that the same kind his mother used to paint? He saw smoke coming out of the buildings situated far from his house. He saw the sun peaking out from behind the clouds. 

Rohit sighed. Another day, another marathon. Sometimes, he liked to compare himself to the dying mango tree, to the smoke billowing towards the sky. He felt he was himself withering and dying as the days passed, with no other motivation but to keep his company running and reach the top.

Rohit closed his eyes. He imagined his life being painted on to the bright 'blue-pink sky', dulling even the colours on it. Rohit chuckled. Even his imaginations were sad.

With a last sigh, he got up and went to freshen up. His company needed him, even if no one else did.

Once he was ready, he descended the stairs and turned away instantly once he saw his 'loving family of two' sitting for breakfast. He needed to get out immediately. Alas! His loving mother had other ideas.

"Rohit beta!" She spoke in her fake love-filled voice. "Come na, betu. Let's have breakfast together!"

Rohit grimaced at only the invitation.How was he supposed to survive breakfast? He turned around and offered them a small, polite smile. 

"No, mom. You both continue, gotta reach office early today."

"No ifs and buts, come and eat," Ambalika sternly ordered. Rohit sighed for the 10th time in a single hour after he'd woken up. He took a seat at the table. He planned to eat fast.

"Beta!" Ambalika started cheerfully again. Rohit immediately frowned. 'Why was she doing 'Beta-Beta' so much?'

"I have something really important to talk about. Drumrolls please!" Manika clapped her hands excited while Anila and Rohit rolled their eyes. 'Again one of her dramas,' Rohit thought.

"You two are boring. Anyway, Rohit, beta," 'beta, Rohit cringed'," Kal na, tumhe mai surprise dene wali hun! Kal....hum.....tumhare hone wale dulhe ko dekhne jaayenge!" 

This single statement garnered three different reactions simultaneously. 

Manika once gain clapped her hands in excitement, Anila threw a mixture of sly and disgusted look to Rohit while Rohit stopped his food filled hands mid-air, too shocked to process the sudden announcement. As he slowly realised its meaning, he felt his jaw hang open wide. 

Anila smirked at her mother. 

"Dulha?" Rohit asked, composing himself quickly. 

"Haan bete. Kal hi! Isn't that exciting?!"

"No, it's not. Cancel it. Next time se, ask me for such things before fixing anything," Rohit replied calmly. He got up and picked up his keys. "Shyaam kaka, aata hun shaam tak. Kuch ho toh phone kar lijiyega."

And with that, Rohit went out, leaving two ladies planning hard for their next move and his own food half-untouched. 

Rohit didn't want to or need to marry. He'd convinced his mind that marriage always resulted in one of the two partners with broken heart. He didn't need one.

Or did he need a partner to join his already broken, dying heart?

Hope you liked this part.

Do comment and like if you liked it.

u.

(1224 words).