3

A/N: I'm so glad to be back with another Odette chapter after so long, it's another character-based chapter so I hope you guys like it.

"Wait!" Claudia calls from the car as Odette starts to walk away. "You forgot your lunch - or wait, I forgot to tell you that I made you lunch," she says, holding up a brown paper bag.

Odette reflexively grimaces, "Oh uh thank you."

"Don't worry I didn't cook anything," Claudia says, trying to laugh but her shoulders still drop. "It's just a sandwich and some snacks, but I did cut up a mango for you. I thought you could share with Bella."

She bites her lip, "Oh, that sounds nice. If there's any mango left, I'll save it for you," Odette says leaning over to take the bag.

"I appreciate that, but you don't have to save me anything, honey," Claudia says, handing the bag over before leaning forward to kiss her cheek. "Have a good day at school."

"I'll do my best."

Claudia gives her a little wave before she steps away from the car, making her way round to the parking lot. Odette scans the parking lot, searching for a familiar red truck, only to be interrupted by a voice in her ear.

"You know, it wouldn't kill you to be nice to Aunt Claudia for once," Giselle quips right in her ear.

She doesn't flinch this time, but she does scan the parking lot making sure that one is looking their way before she responds.

"You can't keep doing this in public, someone will see eventually and then they're all going to think I've lost my mind," Odette snaps.

'Giselle rolls her eyes, "who's the arrogant one now? People don't pay enough attention to other people to notice."

Odette scoffs, "For one people do pay attention to the new kids, and two I'd notice if some weirdo was always talking to themselves," she mutters scanning the parking lot for any sign of Bella, instead she spots Edward lingering at the other side of the parking lot. "Anyway, you're a ghost, can't you go anywhere in the world so why don't you-"

Odette turns her head just in time to watch as a minibus slams into the side of Bella's truck, the sound of screeching metal ringing through the parking lot. She can't see anything - can't see Bella, isn't sure how close she was to her truck. Giselle is saying something, her lips are moving, but Odette can't hear anything over her heart pounding in her ears.

She needs to do something, she needs to get out of here, she needs to find Bella. The world spins, and her body, her mind - none of it will cooperate. She tries to push through the crowd on limbs that won't cooperate, and her bad leg burns, stumbling forward as someone grabs the back of her cheek. Odette squirms, stumbling forward, almost meeting the concrete, the only thing keeping her upright is the cold hand gripping her arm.

"W - wh - what ar" Odette can't get the words out, her chest feels tight like she's just run a marathon like she can't get enough air into her lungs.

It's Rosalie - maybe it's the way she's backlit by the dim sunlight or maybe Odette's vision is that hazy, but the golden light of her hair almost looks like a halo. Her hands are like ice, cold and hard, firm grip supporting most of Odette's weight. She's saying something, Odette can hear her voice, make out the rhythm of her voice, but it feels like her ears are stuffed with cotton wool, the specifics slipping past her.

"If you don't start breathing you're going to pass out," Rosalie still sounds far away, the only thing keeping Odette in the moment is the jolt she feels as Rosalie's icy fingers brush against her wrist. "Deep breaths, just count in and out."