0.1

A/N: I know this is short but I hope you guys like the start of my newest story. I've had Odette for a while, so I'm excited to publish this.

If Odette had known her life was about to change; if she had known her life was about to be blown into a million pieces, she would have done things differently. She'd stop the trip altogether, or she would have savoured her last moments with her parents, with her sister; she wouldn't have wasted that precious time. But how could Odette have known? She wasn't clairvoyant. She was supposed to have all the time in the world, this was supposed to be fun one last family road trip before Giselle left college in just a short few months and before Odette had to go back to school, a ballet academy in New York. But she didn't know. So instead, she sat in the backseat with earphones in, face pressed against the cold glass of the window.

Her peaceful moment completely destroyed as her sister pocked her ribs, once then again and again and again. Odette didn't say anything, she hoped that if she ignored Giselle for long enough that she would get bored and bother someone else. But that was the thing about Giselle, she was persistent, and at that moment she was also bored, so she had no reason to stop anytime soon.

"If I acknowledge you, will you stop being the most irritating person on the planet?" Odette snapped as she yanked out her earbuds.

"Well, for one, I'm not the most irritating person on the planet, that's you. And two, we're on vacation you are legally not allowed to be mad at me," Giselle retorted, not the least bit deterred by her younger sister's sour mode.

Odette rolled her eyes. "Do you need something, or are you just being annoying on purpose? Because if that's the case, I'd like to get back to my music."

"You can if you want to, but I just wanted to let you know that we're about to make a stop and I thought you'd like to come with me and get some snacks. But that's up to you," Giselle said with a shrug, her eyes almost sparkled with her smugness.

Odette didn't even try to hold in her sigh. "Of course I want to come you little sh-"

"Odette mind your language and, I hope that was worth it because that's a dollar for the swear jar," Amelia said from the passenger seat cutting Odette off mid-sentence, glancing over her shoulder so she could look at her daughters as she spoke. "And Giselle would it kill you to act your age for five minutes.

"I think it would," Giselle said, sticking her tongue out, though their mother didn't even bother giving her a response.

"I'd like you to repeal my sentence, that was justified," Odette protested. "She deserved it, she was a brat on purpose. Come, dad, you have to be on my side."

"No, I don't think she did," Dominic said, laughing as he glanced back at her in the rearview mirror. "And shouldn't a creative, intelligent girl like you be able to think of something wittier than curses?"

"Maybe, but I shouldn't have to pay for a swear that I didn't even get to finish."

"You make a fair point. You either leave it unfished, or you finish it and give me a dollar," Dominic said, ignoring the dirty look his wife was shooting him.

"Darling, would you be so kind as to refrain from encouraging our children to swear in the future?" Amelia said, and although her tone was stern, her husband could see that she was fighting back a smile.

"Shit, shit," Odette said as they parked in front of a gas pump, giving her sister a smug look before she reached forward to hand over the dollar.

"I hate to break it to you honey, but that was twice, so you owe me two dollars," he said, ignoring the sigh from his daughter as she handed him another dollar. He examined them for a moment before he passed them back to, "can you get me a couple of candy bars from the gas station?"

"You're the most annoying man alive, I hope you know that," Odette said before she got out of the car following her sister into the gas station.

Road trip snacks were always serious business for the Saylor sister's, it took them so long that their parents could only put up with so many snacks runs. So, they had decided to try and get everything in one go. But even after one lap around the store they still hadn't finished, debating between two packs of chips as their mom came in to pay for gas.

"If it means you'll hurry up then just buy both of them," Amelia said after watching her children debate for a full two minutes.

They added both bags, but even after Amelia paid for the gas, it still took them a further five minutes to finish picking. And the line is so long, it took them another five minutes on top of that to get back to the car.

"Thank god you're back, I thought I was going to starve to death before you got back," Dominic said as his children climbed into the car.

"You're such a baby," Odette said as she leaned forward to hand him his treats. "Besides you're going to have to wait anyway, you can't eat and drive."

"I don't need to eat and drive, your mother is going to feed me like the loving wife that she is."

"No, I'm not darling," Amelia responded, not even looking up from the fashion magazine she had just purchased.

"Fine, but I hope all of you can live with yourselves when I starve to death," he said, cramming half a candy bar into his mouth.

The car fell into silence as he pulled away from the gas station. Amelia continued reading from the passenger seat, and it seemed like Giselle had fallen asleep curled up in the backseat. Odette returned to the music, turning her gaze out the window at the unfamiliar scenery that blurred past them; at first, it's cars and buildings and people, slowly being replaced with trees and open spaces as they drive out of town. It was only early spring, coming to the middle of March but the trees were flowering, and the air smelled of sweetness and floral notes. It was almost peaceful for a time, and with Alex Turner's voice blaring through her earphones, Odette almost felt like she was in a world of her own.

She didn't see it happen, she was drifting off to sleep, her eyes slowly slipping shut when it happened. But she felt it - the impact of the colossal pick-up truck colliding with the passenger side; tearing through the car like a hurricane. She doesn't remember much of what happened next. She doesn't remember being thrown from the vehicle or hitting the side of the road, what she remembers is the sounds a cacophony of clanging metal as the trucks destroyed their little car and a buzzing all-consuming pain before the world faded into nothing. Then there was just nothing until she woke up in the hospital weeks later.