Chapter 7: Nightmares

It was now the middle of the night, and Homer had gone home to the motel. The rain roared ferociously outside, but for some reason, from in his motel room, Homer found it quite calming.

He was currently sitting up in his bed, writing little notes to himself on a pad of note paper. Every time he finished writing he would examine it, grumble curses under his breath, and then toss it into the trash can sitting not far from his bed. Occasionally he would reach over to his nightstand and take a bite out of a cheap gas station donut he had been snacking on.

What were these notes about, you may ask? Homer was currently planning how he was gonna get to Russ Cargill. But every idea he came up with just seemed impossible.

Eventually he slumped down with defeat and sighed heavily. Closing his eyes. He was tired. Very tired.

"You're never gonna find me, are you Homer?"

"Huh?"

Homer sat up and looked around his room. Nothing. For whatever reason, the sound of the rain had stopped. And he couldn't see anything but darkness outside of his window. He hesitantly tip-toed over to the window and opened it, sticking his head out. It was cold, and empty. There was no moon or stars, no car lights, no rain, nothing. Just pitch black darkness. A chill crawled up Homer's spine.

What's going on?

"Nice out, isn't it?"

Homer whipped around, and there, standing before his very eyes, was Russ Cargill. Although he didn't look right. He didn't have a face.

Despite this, the sight of the wretched man made Homer's stomach turn. His muscles tensed as his confused expression was twisted into rage.

"You..."

His voice was shaky and gravelly.

"Yes, it's me. Russ Cargill. What're you gonna do about it?"

The faceless man sneered, as he and Homer began to circle each other. Homer could hardly breathe, his throat was clogged and his eyes were stinging. Russ, on the other hand, was as calm as a cat.

Homer managed to choke out a few words. "Y-you killed them. You killed every single one of them."

"Yes, and?"

"AND?" Homer nearly screeched, "YOU KILLED MY FAMILY. MY CHILDREN. THEY WEREN'T EVEN 13. YOU DESTROYED EVERYTHING I'VE EVER LOVED BECAUSE OF SOMETHING THEY DIDN'T DO."

Homer took a step closer to the man, his voice was now almost a whisper.

"Do you realize how much those poor children been suffering because of you? Having to wander around the same place they got incinerated in the form of these...animals??"

"That may be true," Russ murmured, "but at the end of the day, Homer," He leaned closer to the angry father.

"You're the one who set the trap to snap."

That did it. Without a second thought, seething with fury, Homer lunged at Russ with a roar, grasping for his neck, only for Russ to fade into dust, and Homer fell to the floor with an "Oof!"

Homer pushed himself up with his hands until he was on his hands and knees, staring at the floor, contemplating Russ's words. As much as Homer hated to admit it, Russ was right.

It was a fact that Homer knew quite well, and constantly used to punish himself. But hearing it from that...creature of a human made him feel like his insides had been singed with white fire.

Homer was shaking violently as tears of despair, helplessness, and guilt slid down his cheeks, although this time no sobs or cries came out. He just felt...numb. And tired.

Homer opened his eyes to find that he was sitting in his bed again, sitting in bed just the way he was before, with his notepad in hand.

It was just a dream. Or a nightmare, for that matter. He must've fallen asleep while trying to think of something. Dream Russ's taunts only made matters worse. How on earth would he ever get to such a powerful man? Homer decided not to think about it for now. For now he needed to sleep. It's what Lisa would want anyway.

He pulled the blanket over himself and rested his head on the center of his pillow and closed his eyes, once again drifting off into a deep, dreamless sleep.