Chapter 9: Shadow's Lament

It was now evening time, and Bee's shift at New Grand Canyon was almost over. She had been going back and forth from working at the Visitor Center to hanging out with the Coyote Kids. Whenever someone came by, Bee had to usher them into a hiding spot so they couldn't be seen, because Bee new if they were, they could be relocated, which wouldn't be good at all.

She was currently sitting on a sitting rock by the lake, munching on a tuna sandwich. Most of the pups were on the grass or just wading in the shallows now.

Maggie was curled up contently under her free hand.

"Hey mommy! Why is that lady sitting with the wolves?"

"I'm not sure, honey. I don't even know why there's animals here in the first place."

Bee slowly turned around to face a mother and her son standing like a hard behind her on the trail. The mother had black hair and brown eyes, while the son had the same black hair, and blue eyes.

"Uhh...I uhh..." Bee stammered.

"Those are coyotes. And they're domesticated. They won't hurt anyone."

Bee sighed with relief as she noticed Homer making his way down the trail and past the little boy and his mom.

"Really?" The mom asked skeptically, "how would you know? You're not an employee here!"

Bee reached out a hand. "Don't worry! I'm an employee here and can confirm. Definitely nothing suspicious happening over here!"

I mean, they weren't entirely lying. The coyote pups weren't even....well. Coyote pups. But of course they couldn't say that without looking totally crazy.

The mom squinted her eyes suspiciously at the pups, making Homer and Bee nervous. Then she shrugged.

"Whatever you say! C'mon, Timmy."

"Awww but Mom! I wanna stay and pet the wolves!"

And soon they were out of sight.

Bee and Homer snickered as Homer came down the trail.

"That was TERRIFYING. Nice save!" Bee laughed.

"I know! Thanks, kid!" Homer giggled back.

Bart, Lisa, and Maggie trotted up to Homer happily (except for Bart who was kinda dragging himself).

Homer crouched down until he was at eye level with them. "Awww! Hi there!"

Maggie and Lisa bounced up and down as they licked his face excitedly, while Bart sat and observed not far behind.

Bee looked up at the other pups in the distance. Nelson and Martin were currently wrestling, Millhouse was sleeping, Rod and Todd were playing Tug O War with a random stick, Jessica was cleaning herself with her tongue, Ralph was chasing a single butterfly, and Colin and Wendell were wading in the water.

Homer was now being pinned to the ground by his pups, laughing hysterically as they trampled him.

"S-stop! Hey! That tickles! Haha!"

Bart rolled his eyes and growled slightly. He knew that Homer could easily push them off if he wanted too, he was just choosing not too.

Homer glanced up at him, and smiled sadly.

"Hi, Bart." He tried to reach out his hand to him, but Bart merely arched his back and snarled threateningly before retreating to a distant area, causing Homer to flinch slightly.

Lisa watched angrily while Maggie just looked confused.

Homer sat up and sighed, looking at the ground defeatedly. "I really wronged him, didn't I?"