CH 23: Encounter

After the Mid-Autumn Festival, it started to get cold in the morning and evening, while midday remained hot and stifling, showing the power of the *autumn tiger. The clear blue sky was dotted with white clouds, occasionally blocking the heat of the sun and bringing a sense of coolness.
(A short period of hot weather after the beginning of autumn)

Changle Palace, always serene and elegant, was no exception today. In the spacious and magnificent hall, there stood eight palace maids and several eunuchs, along with the leader, all quiet and peaceful without a trace of noise.

Jian Rong walked forward with composed demeanor and said, "Niangniang, the Shanggong Bureau has sent a new batch of palace maids and eunuchs for you to choose from. If they don't meet your standards, they can send more."

Without even glancing at these people, Shen Moyun asked, "Which eunuch is in charge?" Since she had sent Du'an away with an excuse, and the other eunuchs weren't particularly clever, she had to rely on Shanggong Bureau to send someone new.

One of the eunuchs stepped forward and bowed, saying, "This servant, Qin Yun, greets Consort Shu Niangniang."

He appeared to be in his early twenties, with fair skin and pleasing features. Shen Moyun nodded slightly and said, "I understand, you may rise."

After Qin Yun stood behind her, she also stood up and said to Jian Rong, "As for the palace maids, you and Hong Xi can choose together. Once the list is decided, send them directly to Shanggong Bureau. There's no need to inform me again." She trusted them to handle it properly. The Emperor was relatively satisfied with her, and with Jian Rong present, they could filter out any unwanted elements.

Hong Xi was also an old servant who has served *Taifei Anshun and was more familiar with the twists and turns of the imperial palace. Whether they were of one mind or had different opinions, they wouldn't let anyone with ulterior motives into ChangLe Palace. This arrangement was beneficial no matter how one looked at it.
(Imperial concubine of a deceased emperor)

  Jian Rong said, "Please rest assured, Niangniang, I will be thorough." Hong Xi also expressed her loyalty with a few words.

Shen Moyun remained noncommittal. She stood up and casted a few more glances at Qin Yun. She then instructed Jian Rong, "Explain the rules here to Qin Yun clearly. Make sure he understands what should be remembered and what should not be done. I don't want to continue changing people." Her tone carried a hint of warning. If this person still had issues, they would have to replace him.

"Yes, Niangniang."

Qin Yun hurriedly knelt down again and said, "This servant will definitely obey Niangniang's orders and will not cause any trouble."

"Very well." Shen Moyun responded casually. Accompanied by Suyue and Jin Se, she left the hall and walked outside.

There were pavilions, towers, artificial mountains, and strange rocks, with layers of clouds and lush greenery. The paths were lined with blooming chrysanthemums, their layered petals of alternating red, purple, yellow, and white creating a stunning sight.

As Shen Moyun walked slowly along the path, she began to feel some pain in her feet. Suyue who was always attentive, noticed the slight furrowing of her brows and suggested, "Master, there's a pavilion ahead. Why don't we go there and rest first?"

Feeling the discomfort in her feet, Shen Moyun also wanted to take a break. She nodded and led the group towards the pavilion on the left.

  As an Imperial concubine, Shen Moyun didn't just sit down directly to rest as soon as she arrived. Rather, a eunuch stepped forward to check the surroundings to ensure no one else was present. Then, two palace maids came forward to set up the table, wipe the stools, and bring over the food boxes they had been carrying along the way, take out a few plates of pastries and thoughtfully prepared sweet soup and tea. Under the watchful eyes of others, she entered the pavilion to rest, sipping tea and enjoying snacks.