CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

I awoke from a very tiring day. I only have been traveling for a day and a half, but it feels like I've been doing it for a decade. I am not used to it.

"Good noon, here have some lunch."

I turned around and saw the merchant, he gave me a piece of bread and an apple.

"Pardon me for asking, but where did you get these?"

"Oh, the apple was freshly picked by me, and the bread was my bread from yesterday."

"Oh, I see, well, have you eaten yet?"

"Already done, there's only two breads left and I also ate an apple. Look, I picked a lot of them, enough for the both of us during our travel."

I smiled at him. "Thank you for your kindness, sir,"

"You're very welcome." He said, "You know, you reminded me of someone."

"Really?"

He nods, "You both are the same age. I adopted him when he was 10, he was lost and was crying all day. I let him in and took care of him for years. But, three weeks ago, he left a letter that he had to leave so he could protect me. I don't know what he means by that, but I sure know that he has other good reasons why he chooses to run away."

"He?" I asked

"Alastair Luthien is his name. The boy that I raised for 8 years."

Alastair Luthien?

Could that be...

"I— I met him last night."

His eyes widen, "Y— You did? How? Is he alright?"

"He helped me actually, and after that, we parted ways. He seems good, though, he does not look malnourished."

He sighed and smiled, "I can't believe he's here, and we didn't even meet." He added, "But, I am glad he's fine. I just hope whatever he's doing right now, he wouldn't be in danger."

Me either...

We were running away from something last night or was it... someone. I am not sure since I closed my eyes the whole time. But, even though he's not his real son, he treats him like one. It's just sad that he left him without saying any goodbye in person. What kind of jerk does that to their adopted father?

Ah, right, the Alastair kind.

"We better get going." He stated, "It looks like it's going to rain any moment. We have to get to Gibbethon before it happens, or else we have to build a temporary shed to keep us from the rain. A young lady like you does not have the immune system to fight any flu."

"I don't mind traveling in the rain."

"Are you sure?"

"I am sure sir,"

He smiles, "Well then, we'll be moving along."

We commence on our journey into the Gibbethon Empire. It feels so illegal to enter the rival kingdom, knowing I am the princess of Mortimer Empire.

"You know, this exact route was used during the war between Mortimer and Gibbethon?"

"Yeah, I heard it on some books,"

"Well, the truth is, this route was created years before Queen Vahnim ruled and started her reign as the first ruler of the Mortimer Empire. The route leads to two ends, the first path leads directly to the Gibbethon Empire, and the second path leads to a very deadly place. Travelers in the past barely survive on this route. They once said that the deadly place contains lots of poisonous flowers, and there's no fruit-bearing tree or water in that path. So while you wander around, you'll die of starvation and your body will be consumed by the human-eating vultures." He stated, "But now, I am still not sure if the same path existed. I have been traveling here for ages, and didn't notice any different route."

"It is because after the war, Queen Vahnim ordered her soldiers to cover and secure every shortcut, and they should be alerted if someone tried to trespass into the Mortimer Empire's border just like King Raphe's miners did."

"Wow, you know your history, aren't you."

"Just a simple reading from here to there."

"I am surprised no one accused you of being a witch and burned you alive." He stated and chuckled

You have no idea. I wasn't even a year old when they accused me of being a witch. If they burned me, who else would be the villain in this story?

He stood up, "So, shall we go?

"Sure.."

I sighed before climbing to Bernard's back. Next stop, the Gibbethon Empire.