The Hunter's Legacy

Brightness shone from the moon as the night drew on. Tyler checked his weapon belt and made sure everything was there. His heart pounded with anticipation, and he focused his binoculars on the clearing. The distance between the hilltop and his target was farther away.

Footsteps, from behind, alerted his senses and he spun around.

"Easy, son," Dennis said and moved beside him.

"Darling, it's time," Mary said, moving up on the opposite side.

"Do I have to do this?" Tyler asked.

His father released a sigh, gripped his shoulder, and turned him back around. "My patience is running thin."

"It is tradition. The age of eighteen is wonderful," Mary said, "I remember my first demon kill." A giddy laugh escaped from her.

"Mother..."

"Enough," Dennis said and pushed him forward, "I have explained the purpose of this night many times."

"She's just a girl—"

"No, she isn't, love," Mary interjected, "tonight she will be reborn to her true self."

"Our family has been killing demons for generations. We have trained you." Dennis said and gazed up at the moon.

"But, why her?" Tyler asked.

His father let out another sigh and threw up his hands.

"She is the heir to the underworld; she must be killed," Mary said, allowing the frustration to leave her husband's body.

"Every generation there is an heir, and one demon hunter is chosen to stop it."

"Me," Tyler whispered. Dennis and Mary nodded to each other, and both stepped behind him.

Tyler used his binoculars once more and sucked in a breath. There was now an eerie, red aura engulfing the clearing. She's changing, he thought and glanced back to his parents.

They were gone.

It was time to go.

Tyler launched himself off the cliff and teleported to his target.

He reemerged in the clearing and took in the surroundings. In front of him was the demon he was supposed to kill. She was hunched over and breathing heavily. The aura surrounded her, causing her body to appear a bloody red. Her eyes were white and teeth sharp to the point that they were sticking out of her mouth.

The girl he imagined, and refused to kill, was completely transformed. Gone was her innocent life and here was her true calling. Tyler pulled out a glowing blue whip and saw the electricity enhance from excitement.

"I am Tyler, and I will fulfill my demon hunter legacy!" Tyler announced and charged forward.