9 - Meet trouble

As he pulls me against him I fight him but as soon as I look into his eyes I stop. His eyes make me feel like he can see into my heart, my soul, and I subconsciously start to relax in his arms. My body seems to meld into his, like we were made to be together. I breathe in, inhaling the most intoxicating scent ever. It smells like the woods, more specifically the woods my Grandma used to take me to when I stayed with her. As we look into each others eyes his head starts to come closer to mine. Our noses are nearly touching and I can feel his breathe on my face. I close my eyes, relishing in the feeling of lovingness I start to lean toward his lush, enhancing lips. 

Just as I'm about to make contact a little part of my brain goes 'STOP!' and I suddenly open my eyes. Seeing Declan's eyes close and his face coming closer to me I see he is also in this trace we have created. OMG how did I let this go so far?! This is my kidnapper! 

With all my might I push against his chest and his eyes suddenly go wide as he falls into the water. I could only push him so much because he was caught off guard! Let's go, I've got a few seconds start and I need it!

I run as fast as I can towards the edge of the lake, pushing my legs harder than I ever have before. As I exit the water I decide to look behind me to see Declan rushing towards me about to grab my waist and I quickly move to the side, making him fall face first in the mud. I would laugh, but this is a serious matter of running away from my kidnapper! 

I bolt out of there and as I run all I can hear in my mind is Declan calling me his 'mate' and my Grandma telling me I am his soul mate. This can't be true, it can't be. Love exists between family and friends but true love does not exist. Otherwise, why would there be so many divorces? So many people unhappy with their partner? I know, maybe they aren't with their TRUE love, but if mates really existed why is it fair that only some people get them and others don't? 

I pause thinking about that. If I knew that I had a mate, a person meant exactly for me, made to be my other half, wouldn't I want him? Why would I say no, knowing that if I walk away I will never be completely happy with anybody else? 

A mate is a gift, a gift of happiness for your whole life. And as crazy as it sounds, I sort of believe Declan. I kind of believe my Grandma. I think it just took this long for all of this information to soak in. 

I've made such a big mistake! The way I felt about Declan, this is because his my mate! It feels like crazy talk, but deep down I know its true. 

I just ran away from my mate. 

Realising this I crumble to the ground and start deliriously crying. I'm not a crier but I just can't help myself. I cry for myself and the mistake I've made, I cry for Declan, because although I don't know him very well I miss him and I feel so guilty and I cry for my family. 

Suddenly, I hear footsteps come out to me and before I can react someone roughly grabs my head and forces my eyes to meet theirs. In front of me are 3 tall men looking at me like I am scum but also a prize jewel 'huh, never been looked at like this before. I don't like it, the disrespect by these men is appalling.' A voice in the back of my head says, but I quickly shut it out. I look up to the men in fear, as by the way they stand I can tell they are powerful, or, different. Could they be werewolves too? 

Nah, I don't the same vibe from them as I do from the werewolves I've met. Especially not the same feeling I get from Declan. Then the first man starts talking to me. 

"What's your name, pretty girl?" He purrs, stroking his long, thin finger down my arm and I involuntarily shiver with fright and the coldness of which is on his finger. 

"Yes, what's a young human girl like you doing in the woods at this time, or, at any time for that matter?" The man that is leaning against one of the trees says. Just as he speaks his body freezes and his nose makes intense sniffing noises while he looks around everywhere. Then he locks his eyes on mine. "You're Alpha Declan's mate" he declares, and then he smirks. "I'm going to have heaps of fun with you, darling angel."

Then our from the trees I hear someone, who from the sound of the voice sounds like Declan, say "You'll have to get through me" and then I see his jump out of the trees human and then suddenly turn into a big, furry wolf.