1 - Moving

Mina

"I'm already gone, I'm on the road and I know where my heart, where my heart belongs!" I half sing half scream the lyrics to one of my favourite songs playing on the radio. I can see my Dad shaking his head slightly and smirking to my outburst. As I'm 'singing' I look out the window of the car, staring at my reflection. Looking at myself, I gradually stop singing and stare intently. My medium length  blonde straight hair, I can see, is very messy after being asleep in the car for 3 hours. My eyes are a light green, and they change shade depending on my mood, darker being the good mood and lighter being the bad. You are so weird Mina, I think to myself as I snap myself out of my weird staring competition with my reflection.

"We're about 2 minutes away honey", Dad said, looking across at me to see my reaction. A big smile grew on my face at this. 'That's one more step for Mina, one giant leap for Mina's future! Yeah! Finally, I'm going to be able to escape Liven. Liven's the suburb I've grown up in my whole life. It's not a bad place, but so many people there are such snobs. I always said I'd get out of there, and finally I am!

"I'm finally going to college!" I say excitedly, bouncing up and down in my seat. Dad laughed at me, and we came upon the apartment building I'd be staying in. I have a roommate, who I've never met. I hope she's nice, oh please let her be good, I say over and over in my head. Dad pulls next to the curb and we hop out of the car and empty the car of all my belongings, putting them on the sidewalk. Once that's all done I turn towards my Dad to see he's holding a black jewellery box.

"Mina, your Mum and I both want you to have this now. Melissa was given hers when she went to college and now it's your turn. Your all grown up and we are so proud of you." He says, nudging it into my hand. I slowly open the box to see a beautiful necklace with a little white diamond. "Oh, Dad, you didn't have to, this is so generous. Really, Dad.."

"You are welcome, and more than deserving", he says, pulling me into a hug. "I love you, I'm going to miss you so much" I say as we break apart.

"I love you too, now go upstairs and meet your new roommate! Good luck Mina!" He says, hopping into the car, and drives away. I wave at him until I see him turn the corner, and disappear. Now that I'm all alone, I thought this feeling was going to feel more....rewarding. Huh. Well, I might as well meet my roommate and settle into my new home. I turn around to see a girl around my age coming out of the building. "You must be Mina, right?" She says, coming towards me and giving me a giant hug. "Uh..you're squishing me...." I groan from her tight hug. Wow, she's really strong.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" She squeaks out, stepping out. "Hi, I'm Chloe, your roommate!" Now that I look at her I realise that she has to be a model. Her long tan legs, her brown flowing hair and perfect skin. And of course that's the first thing I say. "Are you a model or something!?" I say, and then cover my mouth, but luckily she laughs. "No, no way, never. Here, let me help you with your things!" She says, grabbing the majority of the bags and walks away, leaving me dumbfounded. I quickly grab the rest of my things and stumble after her. How can she carry all that stuff? And she acts like she's carrying nothing! Once again, my big mouth comes into action again.

"If not a model, are you a weightlifter?" I call stumbling up the stairs in the building, causing her to laugh again. "Wrong again!" She shouts down. "Wonder what she's taking.." I mumble under my breath, causing her to laugh again. How did she hear me? Huh, ,aye she really is taking something... Finally I catch up to her to see her at the door 4A, watching me expectantly. Great, 4 levels of walking. Yay! Note the sarcasm...In the corner of my eye I see a lift.

"Why did we not take the lift?" I ask, coming across a bit annoyed. I'm sorry, but I've been in a car for 5 hours, I think I deserve the lift.

"No one here uses the lift, we all like the exercise." She says, opening the door.

"Why would no one use the lift? It's their for a reason!" I respond.

"The stairs are also there for a reason" she pointed out.

"Touché" I say, laughing. Well, now they have someone who is going to use the lift at least a bit. I'm not a slacker all the time, I promise.

"Here's your room!" Chloe says, opening the door to reveal a room with a Queen sized bed, vanity table and a bedside table and lamp.

"Thanks so much!" I say, dumping all my stuff on the ground. I'll get to it later, I promise myself.

"I'll show you around the place" Chloe suggests, and I follow, excited to see the place where I'll be living now. "This is the kitchen" she says, showing me a nice looking kitchen, with the living room connected to it. I walk over to it, and she shows me where everything is. "Here are the cups, the pantry and..oh" Can you grab me a cup!" She says suddenly, looking at me. "Sure...." As I walk over to where she said the cups were I try to reach the cupboard, but it's too high and I'm small. I start jumping up and down, trying to get the cupboard at least open. Chloe bursts out laughing, nearly falling to the ground. I stare at her. "I'm sorry not everybody has long legs!" I say, but seeing her on the ground laughing makes me collapse too. "You're....you're just..so...short!" She cries out, laughing hysterically. After we both sober up, we decide to keep a cup on the bench specifically for me. Chloe shows me the rest of the house, and we bond really quickly. I feel like I've known her forever, like she's one of my sisters.

"Hey, look at the time! We need to get changed!" She cries out, quickly running to her room.

"Wait what?!" I heel out after her.

"Oh yeah, wear a nice dress, we're going out to meet the pa- um I mean the people in the building, and others.

"WHAT!" I scream. "I'm so confused, is it like a dinner?!"

"Just do it, I'll explain later, we have 5 minutes! Go go go!"

"Ok, ok!" I yell, running to my room and pulling out clothes after clothes. Finally I pull out a blue dress. This should work, I think, and I throw it on, add some makeup and run out of my room, seeing Chloe in a beautiful gold dress. "There you are, let's go!" She yells, pulling me out the door.