Haven (Brandon the Lover

Brandon looked out to the view from the window. His uncle Noah left him a cabin, nestled in the Appalachian Mountains with fifty acres and a small lake. He was told to fully inherited the property and money left to him as well, he would have to stay in the cabin for a year. Everything was taken care of before his uncle's passing for the year that Brandon would have to stay. Food, firewood, and other provisions like a high-quality internet setup for his videos and a sturdy, safe vehicle to get Brandon to town and back.

Brandon agreed at the reading of the will and left for the sleepy little mountain town, simply named Haven. It was a picturesque place with colorful buildings and nice folks. Flower boxes and planters lined the streets while beautiful murals covered the brick walls, displaying the history of the town. Haven was truly a safe place for who seek protection and friendship. For Haven was not just for humans, also for the supernatural creatures of the land, sky, and water.

Brandon learned this on his first time through the town. The retired Sheriff Thomas Red Wolf picked Brandon up from the airport. On the drive from Bristol, Thomas explained everything to Brandon. In school, Brandon has a few friends who were varies shifters, so it was not new. Yet, a whole town was something different. Noah and Thomas had been friends for nearly fifty years and Noah asked Thomas to look after of Brandon while he lived there.

Thomas was also the former alpha of the wolf shifter pack that reside in the town. His oldest son had stepped into the alpha place and Thomas was enjoying being just a grandpa. Brandon was only two years older that Thomas's eldest grandchild, so Thomas saw it as gaining another family after losing Noah to cancer.

The town welcomed Brandon warmly for Noah was a big part of the town, serving as a town council member, business owner, and good friend to many. Brandon met with the new owner of the Sweet Tooth, a candy and sweets bakery shop that his uncle owned. The business was left to Owen Butler, a black bear shifter who had been working there since he was sixteen years old. Now a man of forty, he was happy to meet Brandon and glad that Brandon told him that Noah spoke so highly of Owen, calling him the son that he wished he had. Noah had no children, the people in his town were his family.

After having a huge lunch at the local diner that most went into to go boxes. Thomas and Brandon headed to the cabin that was a good fifteen-minute drive from town. Now, Brandon looked at the beautiful scenery, now understanding why his uncle loved the place so.

Peering into the woods, Brandon felt off. It was not from the meal he ate. He felt like he was being pulled in the woods by something. Thomas warned him that not everyone was nice. Like humans, there was bad elements in the supernatural worlds. And the woods were filled in wild animals.

This feeling was one of needing help. Brandon was not stupid though. He grabbed the rifle that was left and loaded it. Carrying extra rounds, Brandon left the cabin with his cell phone. He had amazing service in the mountains.

Brandon followed the feeling to a large cave, not too far from the cabin and lake. Around the cave mouth, there were downed small trees and deeply disturbed ground. Like two large creatures were fighting recently. Eyeing the cave, Brandon turned on the flashlight of his cell phone and ventured in.

Water dripped from the ceiling. Brandon noted the large claw marks in the stone floor. Nearly the back of the cave, Brandon's light fell on a truly thrilling sight.

A wren dragon lay there motionless. It colored was bright rust red. It was a small one, maybe fifteen foot long. There was a long gash, looked fresh on its neck. The wings were straight out, like the creature died trying to protect itself or something else.

"Poor thing." Brandon sighed while touching the snout. He always wanted to meet a wren, but not like this. His heart went out to the legendary creature.