23.

Fiona's POV

"The killer is back"

I looked up from the papers at my desk "what?" I asked turning to look at James "come on, let's go"

There is no fucking way.

"Are you alright? You look a little pale" James said looking at me then putting his focus back on the road "I just didn't sleep that well last night"

It could be anyone trying to be her since there are some psychopaths out there that love to copy serial killers.

But we didn't release the details of her kills to the public so they couldn't have known that she tortures and signs her victims with an "X" after their death.

Maybe it's not her.

If it isn't her signature way of killing, it could be anyone.

Or she could be killing someone without showing that it was her so I don't find out about her killing anyone.

We reached the crime scene and went towards the body. I looked at the body and felt choked up when I saw that it looks exactly like all the other bodies.

I know he's probably a horrible person but what really hurt me is the fact that she promised she wouldn't do this.

Promises mean the world to me and I feel completely betrayed.

"Are you listening?" I snapped out of my thoughts and shook my head "sorry. What did you say?" I asked James as I tried to keep myself together for now.

"She didn't torture him this time. Just the throat slit and the X over it" wow thank you so much for being nice, Reese.

But she could've killed him without actually showing that it was her.

Maybe she wanted me to know.

She said before that she didn't like hiding huge things from me because it'll make her feel guilty about it.

I don't know anything anymore.

———

I stepped into the apartment, the smell of the amazing food filled the air. I closed the door and went towards the kitchen.

"Hi baby" she kissed the side of my head and went back to cut the vegetables "how was work?"

I stayed quiet and put my hands on the island of the kitchen. The smile on her face slowly started to fade away "everything okay?" She asked putting down what was in her hand "get out of my apartment, Reese"

"What?" She asked in disbelief "get the fuck out of my place before I call the police. Actually fuck that, I'll arrest you myself"

Tears were going down my face but i can't do this anymore. I'm taking the guilt that she's not feeling when she kills someone because I'm hiding her and allowing her to continue what she's doing by not turning her in.

I'm trying so hard to be on board with her on this but the scenes I have seen were brutal.

She came towards me and cupped my face "why baby? What did I do?" She asked and I pushed her hands away gently "you killed someone. For fuck's sake stop treating me like I'm dumb"

I was sad. I was literally heartbroken because she keeps lying to my face.

"I would never do that. I promised you-" I cut her off "that's what fucking hurts the most. I was stupid enough to think that promises actually mean shit to you" a few sobs left my mouth unintentionally as I was speaking.

I tried to gather my strength back so I can talk without crying "I just came back from the crime scene of the guy you killed"

"Baby please listen to me-" I stopped her from finishing what she wanted to say "did you kill him or not?"

She stepped back and swallowed nervously "I did" she admitted making my stomach twist.

I was hoping that somehow someone else managed to do the same shit she does.

"Take your things and leave" she held my hand as tears ran down her face "Don't make this harder than it already is, Reese. Just please leave or I'll have to arrest you" I can't ever get myself to do that. I feel too strongly about her.

Reese didn't say anything and nodded her head. She went to get a few things and I turned around, trying to take deep breaths and not just break down crying.

I felt her placing a soft kiss on my head "I'm so sorry" she whispered in my ear.

I didn't turn around to see her leaving. I don't think I can do it.

———

"What are you doing here?" I went towards Reese when she stepped into the precinct because the look on her face isn't comforting right now.

"I'm turning myself in" my eyes widened at what she said "no you're not"

"Isn't this what you want?" She asked me with a bit of confusion. I shook my head "no, Reese. I don't want anything bad to ever happen to you"

"Really?" Her question was genuine. She couldn't believe that I didn't want anything bad to happen to her and it broke my heart.

I was about to answer her before Zach approached us.

"What's up, weirdo?" Zach said jokingly but Reese obviously did not like that "what the fuck did you just say to me?" She asked raising her voice a little.

"Reese no. Let's talk outside" I sternly said pulling her towards the elevator. We went outside "I don't want you to turn yourself in. I'm mad but I still have feelings for you and the last thing I want is for you to rot in prison"

"Then take me back. I won't do it again. I just couldn't stop myself when I had the opportunity to know where Victor is"

"You know where he is?" I asked her and she nodded her head "it'll be over soon"

"You're not going alone, Reese" I said stepping closer to her "why not?" She asked me, a bit confused "because he definitely has a lot of people with him. He'll kill you"

Reese smiled and bit down on her lip gently "you care about me" she stated as if it's something new "of course I do. Don't do anything stupid, please. I'm begging you"

"I'll be okay. Don't worry about me"

"I will worry, Reese. You're putting yourself in front of death itself. He's powerful and you know that. He'll hurt you" she stepped closer to me and cupped my face "I promise you nothing will happen to me baby"

I held her wrists and made her remove her hands from my face "I don't trust your promises anymore"